• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need tape for a gym floor.

signmeup

Is there some kind of tape that's meant to be used to lay out lines on a gym floor? I have a customer that would need about 300 feet of 2" black and 1 1/2" white.

iceracer

What type of floor is it?
I've seen some floors that are hardwood, others in vinyl tile.
Do they need to mask for painting of the lines?

Terry

iceracer

3M probably makes something, check them out, or else 2 mil vinyl may work, but probably not durable enough and there could be issues with people slipping on it with wet feet, depending on how wide the stripes are.

ND graphics has an office in Halifax, they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Terry

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes, it just pays to say to someone.... whadafug ??

Permanent markings with tape on a highly traveled gym floor with sneakers. Besides sounding unsafe when the stuff lets go and kids trip over it, it won't last but a day or two after a few games of anything are played on it.

I'd like to see the replies you get to this one.... they should be humdingers.

omgsideburns

I justed Googled "gym floor tape".. all kinds of products made for marking lines on gym floors. No experience in it, but when I was a kid I remembered the floors being marked with tape so I knew gino was.. speaking too soon.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Speaking soon maybe, but not without thinking. When I was in school they used tapes of sorts for markings of temporary needs like who jumped the farthest or where you were supposed to stand for this or that, but they were all temporary uses and this customer is asking for permanent. Even marking down territories for certain games, but again, not to last more than a week or so before becoming dangerous.

I figured they wanted to mark a basketball court for the entire season or some reasonable fact simile. Ain't no tape gonna do that and hence the reason for my saying about the safety issues if this is indeed permanent.

signmeup

All the tapes I found through google were either for temporay use or for masking off stripes for painting. I figured if anyone knew I'd soon get my answer here.

Si Allen

Gym floors are done with real paint then clear coated ... unless it is a temporary logo or sponsor ... that is meant to last for just a couple of games.

Basketball shoes pivoting on vinyl will peel it loose, even if you clear coat over it!

Why do people ask questions and then want to argue with the answers for the ones who have the experience and have been through the problems before?

signmeup

Gym floors are done with real paint then clear coated ... unless it is a temporary logo or sponsor ... that is meant to last for just a couple of games.

Basketball shoes pivoting on vinyl will peel it loose, even if you clear coat over it!

Why do people ask questions and then want to argue with the answers for the ones who have the experience and have been through the problems before?[/QUOTE]

Si, I didn't argue with anyone about the information I received. Thanks for the advice!