• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need the best solution for blowing up pictures

trimitbyrich

I run Photoshop CS3, Flexi 8.1 and I do lots of vehicle wraps. What is the best way to blow up artowrk? I have used Photozoom Pro2 with fair results but really would love to know "everything" there is to know about phot resizing. Any suggestions?

jmcnicoll

Photoshop works as good as any software I have tested! Some of the various software will save you time, but the results I've seen are not any better than doing it yourself in photoshop. You need to do it a small amount at a time, say 15-20% at a time and just keep going till you get the size you need. The biggest issues is that you need a good clean, sharp, and fairly large image to start with and you can get pretty good results.

jim

TheSnowman

I use "Blow Up". I don't know as though it's any better or worse than PhotoZoom, but I'm pretty happy w/ it.

jmcnicoll

In the past I have test photozoom and genuine fractals and did not see any better results than what I could do myself in photoshop. It did save a little time, but wasn't enough time to buy the software. jim

astro8

In the past I have test photozoom and genuine fractals and did not see any better results than what I could do myself in photoshop. It did save a little time, but wasn't enough time to buy the software. jim

+1 I've also tested genuine fractals, photozoom and others I can't remember.
If you incrementally enlarge you won't get any better results than what you get out of Photoshop.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I run Photoshop CS3, Flexi 8.1 and I do lots of vehicle wraps. What is the best way to blow up artowrk? I have used Photozoom Pro2 with fair results but really would love to know "everything" there is to know about phot resizing. Any suggestions?

There is only one thing you need to know about enlarging bit maps. When you enlarge a bit map, pixels which did not exist must be created. Information which did not previously exist must be conjured up out of whole cloth.

The only reasonable way to do this is to extrapolate the value of a new pixel from those existing pixels around it. If you're enlarging by a small factor then it's fairly simple. Doing a significant enlargement can leave vast tracts of pixels which must be created. Calculating the value of a single new pixel surrounding by original pixels is fairly simple. Calculating the values of a group of new pixels is not so simple.

There are many algorithms to do this, some are better than others. All of them, each and every one, function by merely taking a guess.

Those who think that doing a series of incremental enlargements is somehow a better solution than going for it in one step are ignoring the inarguable fact the doing it either way results in exactly the name number of interpolated pixels and, worse, exactly the same number of pixels interpolated from pixels that were themselves interpolated in a previous step. Computers, being the single minded things that they are, can only create one pixel at a time regardless of doing an enlargement in steps or all at once.

astro8

It's all to do with sampling. There are those that understand why and use the incremental method. There are those that don't understand why and they just 'blow it up'.

torrey

bob is correct and I couldn't have explained it better myself.

And I'll go with kraigsnowden. We use Alien Skin Blow Up when we have to, and it's great. You can achieve the same results with your standard Photoshop tools, but it would take longer.

HeavyHitter

Photoshop works a lot better than in years past. Seems with each release they get a little better. I have Blow Up as well. I would recommend using pictures that were taken from a tripod or by a pro. The better the image you start with the better your life will be creating the artwork. Start with junk.... you will end up with.... junk.

jimmyheartcore

I want to throw my two cents out there as well and recommend Blow Up 2 by Alien Skin. It's a great product, and does a much better job of sizing up raster images than the default photoshop filters. If you'd like to try it out - you can for free for 30 days! The guys over at Alien Skin have a lot of great image editing products that work in conjunction with Photoshop.

heyskull

Sorry nothings better than high quality artwork.
I have tried blowing stuff up and there comes a time that all it is doing is filling the blanks in with stuff that is not really there.

SC

Rooster

I use Photoshop, AlienSkin Blow Up and Genuine Fractals. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

In the end, there is simply no substitute for having a top quality photo at the correct resolution.