• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Need tips on cutting half inch foamcore with CNC

My shop has a large order where we need to cut lettering and shapes out of half inch thick foamcore. The cuts are coming out very rough.

Any tips to make this go better (types of bit, spindle and/or cut speed, tricks, etc.) would be much appreciated!

johnnysigns

There's also the Donek knife you can put into a spindle if you don't have a dedicated knife cutter on that CNC. Toolstoday.com should have them and which variation to get on 1/2" thickness.

Evan Gillette

I have had varying success cutting foam core on our cnc router, the donek knife is on my list to try but I haven't ordered one yet. What I have found is that each brand and thickness behaves a little differently. I have just used regular O flute upcut bits that I had on hand but one of the manufacturers recommends a compression bit. A few things that are key to getting a decent cut are:
1. a sharp bit
2. feeds and speeds are very finicky, lots of testing to get dialed in
3. use a bit diameter the same or greater than the material thickness
4. test cut direction (climb vs conventional) to see what cuts better.
5. Material makes a bit difference. Cheap foam board is miserable. Maybe consider gatorplast or something like palboard, the increased cost will likely be offset by the hassle of dealing with bad cuts.