• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need tips on enlarging an old photo

Nicedeal

Hi!

One of my customers has a scanned photo from the 1930's that they want on a wall that's roughly 3,8 x 7 meters. Of course, the picture will look very grainy - but how do I make the best of it? Any software that smoothes out the lines/corners?

Any tips are greatly appreciated! :)

jmcnicoll

Depends how good original scan is. If it's poor quality it won't work well. My experience is photoshop can resize images as good as anything else. May just take a little longer as you want to do it in small steps.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Suggest that they take this to a professional scanning service company if you cannot scan it at a high enough resolution.
Most of them can scan in the frame even if the customer doesn't want to risk damaging the original photo.
That'll get you some HIGH-RES imagery to reproduce for their wall. 50-75 dpi should work great if you can get it to that.

OnOne's Perfect Resize software also works well.

ddubia

Call some large format printing companies until you find one whose pre press department will do scans for you. They can scan it up to full size at your required ppi.

They all won't do outside work like that but some will. Just call until you find one.

Much better than any software approach.