• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to create profiles for my VP-540 / VersaWorks

B Snyder

I've been getting by with just tweaking the stock profiles but I think its time to start getting serious and make my own media profiles.

I'm using VersaWorks 3.1.1 and a Roland VP-540. What do I need to buy to make this happen?

tanneji

gretag mcbeth eye 1 spectro is what we are using. It works great after the initial learning curve and lets you calibrate your monitor, cameras, printers, dog, and kitchen sink. truly a handy little device :)

MachServTech

Ok, if you are going to invest in a flatbed printer in the future go with a x-rite (Gretag) i1. Because you can upgrade to the IO table to read rigid substrates as well.
And because the i1 is supported by so many RIPs and profiling packages and it is regularly used in the sign industry a lot of us here can help with that model.

The specific bundle that you need is called i1XTreme. It contains the ability to create the ICC Profile for monitors, printers, flatbed scanners, projectors, and digital cameras (you would also need a target to profile digital cameras).

Versaworks does not contain the ability to create the ICC Profile, but it can do everything else needed. This includes ink limiting, linearization, and total ink limiting.

Here is a link to the proper product X-Rite product page:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=792

The i1 XTreme is available in two versions, one with a UV filter and one without. For this package, I would suggest the UV version.

Bob

MachServTech

The specific bundle that you need is called i1XTreme. It contains the ability to create the ICC Profile for monitors, printers, flatbed scanners, projectors, and digital cameras (you would also need a target to profile digital cameras).

Versaworks does not contain the ability to create the ICC Profile, but it can do everything else needed. This includes ink limiting, linearization, and total ink limiting.

Here is a link to the proper product X-Rite product page:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=792

The i1 XTreme is available in two versions, one with a UV filter and one without. For this package, I would suggest the UV version.

Bob

Yep, that's what you need, the IO I was speaking of is only an automation device.

B Snyder

Thanks for the link Bob. Not sure why but I was thinking I'd only need to spend around $500. The i1XTreme seems like more than I need.

Is there something I can use to tweak the stock media profiles? There is a section in the VersaWorks media explorer that allows you to print out color charts and then calibrate them with some sort of measurement device.

Certain RIP softwares (for example Onyx ProductionHouse) would require only the i1 Pro spectrophotometer device itself, as all of the profile creation functionality is available in that RIP. That would bring the price down to about $1,000 for the spectrophotometer only. However, because the ICC Profiling is not available in Versaworks itself, additional modules, along with their associated cost are needed. These modules are found in the i1 XTreme version.

Most users in the sign and large-format print markets do not have the tools and training needed to custom-build their own custom profiles. Roland estimates that well over 95 percent of it's printer customers lack this capability. They either use the bundled profiles that ship with their RIP, or pull down canned profiles, typically from media manufacturer web sites. As you state, there are severe limitations with each of these options. Neither is likely to provide optomized results that properly built custom profles will yield. These benefits include:

1) Larger Color Gamut
2) True Grayscale Printing (Grays that are not tinged with green or red).
3) Ink Savings - comparing ink limits to most Roland profiles included in VW, the savings are over 20 percent!
4) Higher Print Speeds.
5) Improved Spot Color Reproduction (Pantones and custom spots).

In a typical production environment, ink savings of 20% alone will generate an ROI for the color management system to pay for itself within 6-9 months. That time frame is not factoring in the reduction in job reprints and other throughput and image quality benefits.

I believe that it is a great way to differentiate in a highly competititive market.

Bob

Fireguy

Hi there.. just a few things for you to think about. If you use Flexi as your design and use production manager for the rip you can create your own custom profiles directly through production manager.

VERSAWORKS http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/D...upport_Doc_Color Calibrating a Print Mode.pdf

That is the link for the pdf manual to color calibrate versaworks profiles with an eye one directly through the versaworks software.

All you should need is the i1 basic and a compatible rip.

Hope that helps and good luck!!

mark in tx

I'd like to recommend someone who really knows how to profile a system.
He does all my color calibration and is a fountain of knowledge.
He is willing to travel to wherever you are.

Mike Adams and his website is www.correctcolor.org

I don't think his services are too expensive, because I honestly estimate I have saved over $20,000 in the past 3 years by not having to test print, not wasting prints from bad color results, and just wasting time trying to hit a color.

ChiknNutz

Before they were bought out, I picked up an EyeOne Proof (brand new off ebay for about $1000 I believe). Additionally, I hired someone to come in and actually show me how to make profiles. IMHO, both are essential to this exercise.