• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to update software

amy s.

I'm a small potatoes sole practitioner...love it that way. I'm part-time and basically cater to one great client now. I've got an old 4b that works great for cutting sandblast mask. Also, have a Graphtec 5000. I design in Corel 7 (I know, I know) and cut from Flexi. I used Corel 13 and hated it....way too complicated. Suggestions for newer design software that will be user-friendly?

jimbug72

For me the learning curve of starting a new design software would be far more cumbersome than learning the new features of an upgraded version of the software I was already comfortable with.. If you move to a new design platform even if it is "simpler" than the updated version of what you are accustomed to, then you will pretty much have to relearn every aspect of the software. About the only thing that will remain the same will be copy/cut/paste/save/open/close. Tools, functions, menu commands, etc. will all likely have different names and locations as to what you are used to.

Upgrades generally just tend to move things around a bit as they add new features. The general functionality of the software usually remains pretty much the same, you just might have to dig around a bit to find the "new" location.

Is your sole client looking for something you currently aren't able to offer using your current set-up? If not I'd say stick with what works. If they are then I'd suggest looking for the "oldest" version of the software you are already comfortable with that has the features you need added to it and keep your learning curve to a minimum.

amy s.

For me the learning curve of starting a new design software would be far more cumbersome than learning the new features of an upgraded version of the software I was already comfortable with.. If you move to a new design platform even if it is "simpler" than the updated version of what you are accustomed to, then you will pretty much have to relearn every aspect of the software. About the only thing that will remain the same will be copy/cut/paste/save/open/close. Tools, functions, menu commands, etc. will all likely have different names and locations as to what you are used to.

Upgrades generally just tend to move things around a bit as they add new features. The general functionality of the software usually remains pretty much the same, you just might have to dig around a bit to find the "new" location.

Is your sole client looking for something you currently aren't able to offer using your current set-up? If not I'd say stick with what works. If they are then I'd suggest looking for the "oldest" version of the software you are already comfortable with that has the features you need added to it and keep your learning curve to a minimum.
Jimbug...no, my client isn't asking for anything other than what we've been doing. Since I'm running on Windows XP in order to stay with Corel 7 (I can really fly in that)...each time I go online I get the message that it XP is no longer supported. I'm concerned that I'm vulnerable to viruses, etc. Like I mentioned, I updated to Corel 13 years ago and absolutely hated it...too complicated!! I went back to XP and Corel 7. I guess I'll just hang with this for now until it all crashes someday. At least I can communicate to the 4B via Flexi to the cutting feature.

WildWestDesigns

Jimbug...no, my client isn't asking for anything other than what we've been doing. Since I'm running on Windows XP in order to stay with Corel 7 (I can really fly in that)...each time I go online I get the message that it XP is no longer supported. I'm concerned that I'm vulnerable to viruses, etc. Like I mentioned, I updated to Corel 13 years ago and absolutely hated it...too complicated!! I went back to XP and Corel 7. I guess I'll just hang with this for now until it all crashes someday. At least I can communicate to the 4B via Flexi to the cutting feature.

If you need to get online, I would suggest getting a newer computer to use only for getting online (I'm one of those that believes (and I'm sure many are tired of reading my posts on it) that all production machines, even those that are running a still supported OS, shouldn't be anywhere near a WAN connection(which is getting harder and harder with the direction that a lot of software is going)) and just keep what you are running. If you keep the XP machine from getting online, there shouldn't be a concern for getting the more common virus/malware etc on it

Or if you have the install disc (and serial number for the OS and software (where applicable)) for your XP install, get a current computer and see if you can VM that instances of XP and still run said software, but disable outside internet to the VM. If you do go the route of the VM, make sure that you get a computer spec'ed out correctly to run 2 OSs at the same time. A lot of people that complain about the speed/functionality of VMing typically don't have the correct rig to run VMs (all my rigs can, and do, run VMs within VMs (typically because the VM software doesn't support the OS that I'm trying to ultimately VM, so I get functionality through a round about way, and it works exceptionally well)).

Given that optical drivers (CD/DVD etc) drivers are not as common on computers and they are on their way out of favor, I would seriously consider ripping your legacy software to ISO format (using CD/DVD authoring software, not archive software, while archive software do in a lot of cases read/write ISOs, they will truncate file names without warning and that's no bueno for creating an install disc backup) as most OSs (and VM software) recognize ISOs as a virtual drive file and will mount said file accordingly. Especially if you go the VM route having ISOs of everything helps the process out immensely.

jimdtg

Can your PC run Windows 7? I have PC with XP but with online browsers are no longer supported and updating that I moved to Windows 7 and I know that is not modern OS, but it is stable as XP and working good for almost software.

jimbug72

If you could just remove that machine from the internet per Wild WestDesigns suggestion, I'd say follow that route until you can no longer keep that machine alive. Also after a brief search looks like Corel 7 will run on Windows 7 (I didn't dig too deep into the process so some hoop jumping may be required.) As far as the OS functionality you are used to with XP. the leap to 7 shouldn't be as severe as with Windows 8 or 10.