• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need to upgrade our computer any opinions

bullcrew

Awesome, thank you! Looks like a chenming case? Fits with room to spare!
Antec mid tower server case, high mount hidden power supply. I had to modify the rear a little and in doing so I lost my handle/hinge sp I adapted and plexi'd it. It was either that or a hole from the handle so I opted for the clear.
I paid $35 from a guy and came with 6 case fans and all bay hardware etc.... It was white so I wrapped it and modifed the upper 2 bays above the dvdr to accept a slide tray with 2 side press hinges and a 80mm fan adapted to it blowing out. Dropped the case another 3 degrees.

eforer

tiger direct has 3ghz bare bone cheap
I'm not a huge fan of bare-bones sytems. Integrated video is yucky and it usually doesn't save that much money or time, especially when you consider that often your getting sucky components.

Bullcrew, that cooling setup looks dialed. I might build a quad core this week to replace my aging dual athlon RIP machine.

bullcrew

I'm not a huge fan of bare-bones sytems. Integrated video is yucky and it usually doesn't save that much money or time, especially when you consider that often your getting sucky components.

Bullcrew, that cooling setup looks dialed. I might build a quad core this week to replace my aging dual athlon RIP machine.
CPU was sitting at 15/16 degrees last night at idle and the shop was 85 degrees inside. Thats overclocked as well at 3.4ghz (mild overclock), likes to run cool. Did a 14.3 M1 super pi test at 3.4 and got it in the mid 13's playing around with it at 3.55mhz (mild cpu V increase to stabalize) ran orthos and still stable. It seems to be the norm 3.5ghz air and 4ghz+ liquid cooled so far. Love the Intels again..........
I opened PS the other day to start randomelyp laying with it to see what it will do and its really really nice what its capable of.

Bogie

I'm guessing that 95% of the problems people have with Dell or Gateway is with all the crapware that they load the things up with...

Solution:

Pick up a refurb machine from Tiger Direct. Then you can blank the hard drive, and install your own copy of XP, using the serial number sticker on the case. Make a set of "restore" disks first so you have any device drivers, whatever...

bullcrew

Bull-

Which CoolIt cooler is that? Looking at one of those for our new RIP station.
Its the eliminator.
Works like a charm, love it. I would have paid more for it based on the cooling and performance. It was way better than expected and the harder you push the heat limits the more effetive it gets.
Its smaller than the freezone, easier to install and bang for the buck is a great investment.

eforer

I'm guessing that 95% of the problems people have with Dell or Gateway is with all the crapware that they load the things up with...

Solution:

Pick up a refurb machine from Tiger Direct. Then you can blank the hard drive, and install your own copy of XP, using the serial number sticker on the case. Make a set of "restore" disks first so you have any device drivers, whatever...

Honestly, the problems with gateway's, dell's, tigerdirect or anything you don't personally build is that they use 3rd rate components. Most people look at the specs in a very superficial way, ie well this is Xghz with Xram etc. Its more than that, especially these days with manufacturers pushing components out the door that are not ready for prime time. Back in the athlon xp days one of the VIA chipsets in particular was so bad the computer was completely unusable, but it made its way into alot of production PCs due to its cost. Same with cheap flaky ram, it causes huge stability and performance issues but is often found even in very expensive production systems.

Build it yourself and you are 100% sure of what went in it. Building PC's is super easy, a modicum of research and a number 2 philips head screw driver are pretty much all you need.

Whats true with PC hardware is whats true with printing in general: Garbage in, garbage out.

bullcrew

Whats true with PC hardware is whats true with printing in general: Garbage in, garbage out.
Hey now I put garbage in and get gold out.... :thumb:

Btw: cooler temp was 12/13 degrees celcius at 10am, I am doing a little insulation ie die electric, neoprene and rtv silicone to seal the cpu socket from issues. Thats way cold............... Or get a q6600 OC the crud out of it to make up for it.:cool:

bullcrew

12 to 13 degrees c! You could sublet part of your case as a meat packing plant !:cool1:
The water block had frost starting........... I filled the socket bin (center of cpu socket) with neoprene to avoid any condensation build up and siliconed the outer rim filled the socket with die electric and put a run of silicone around and put neoprene on it. I also put die electric on the outer clamps to avoid any exposed metal as well as spray laquered the water block so it cannot build condensation ie metal exposed to direct relative humidity.

Talked to Coolit today and they were amazed I got it this cold, said fan layout would have to be perfect essentially as cool as an open case with no heat build up internally just cooler air. :rolleyes:

Its on medium now and sitting at 24 degrees and will remain there till I OC or do a wrap in which ccase Ill run it on high.
Normaly there is NO need for insulation, he said I am 1 in a handfull ever to take it that far. Saweet! So its basically plug and play for anyone out there.

Disclaimer: Coolit is a really great product, it works flawless. I had an insulation issue directly related to my over cooling of the case and fan speeds. This is not an issue unless your me. I designed this to work in a 100 degree shop and OC the thing pretty hard so I went WAY overboard on case cooling.

Sorry had to do that i felt bad that I did this and made it sound like a questionable product. Its not.....

It got rave reviews from every site that has demo'd one and did tests on them.

jsprosigns

I just did a computer up grade. We are running a RIP Station as well as a Design Station. Look up wrap daddy thewrapdaddy.com Casey rocks! He is not cheapest but you get what you pay for. I must say Aurora Graphics does all of there design on his computers. You will not find anyone out there that has a better understanding of what you are trying to do with your computer than Casey! Just my two cents. Casey has been building these computes for some time and just landed a distribution contract with fellers. They are not in the new catalog but will be in the next one.