• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need to upgrade our computer any opinions

hello everyone,
I am looking to upgrade my main computer & need some help. we have just upgraded our machines to a 64"printer,& cutter & are looking to expand into wraps. the question is what should I be looking for in a new computer. I don't know enough to build one & wonder if I should call dell or gateway & have one built, & will I be able to get what I need from them. so if anyone is interested in giving me a shopping list of what I should or should'nt be looking for the help would be greatly appreciated. thank you sean

Techman

Dotn call dell. or gateway..

Pure nightmares. I used to swear by DELL but now they have offshore sales and support and it is about the worste ive ever suffered.

N2Harpz

Lots of RAM .... I am building my next one. Or have a friend do it. He does it on the side. I just like the home built ones. The parts are better I think.

D&Tgraphics

Lot's of ram. Good video card with it's own on board ram. At least 2 hard drives. 1 big one and a smaller one for a seperate scratch disc. Also, a backup drive wouldn't hurt.

Flame

Atleast 300GB of ram, dual hard drives (like mentioned), fair video card, LOTS of RAM (atleast 2gb). Windows XP, NOT Vista.

I had Tiger Direct assemble me a Systemax that runs pretty nicely. For about $1100 I have a nice system with a 22" monitor, sound system and writing tablet.

D&Tgraphics

Right on flame. Definitely get XP NOT vista.

And wow, let me know where I can get a PC with 300 gigs of ram. That puppy must fly. :Oops::thumb:

thank for the input guys. I was lokking into tiger direct to build me one but had not heard about them until reading this board. are they good?

bullcrew

Get a DE"ha"LLo.
I hear they are bullet proof just ask the little dudes going all comando on it. :thumb:

Attachments

• got-h20wwweb.gif
    got-h20wwweb.gif
    229.9 KB · Views: 314

amw

Longtime Members
STAY AWAY from vista as said above i have it on a pc and its a little buggy still not to mention a big memory hog!

I used to work for a computer co. selling and building custom systems/networks and IMO if you can find someone near you to give you a hand build it yourself...you can get what you want and it realy isnt hard...its like putting together a simple puzzle...for the most part stuff only fits in one place.

If you dont want to do that then i would use a custom system builder.

some tips IMO:
2 hard dives min. (3 would be a+)
I like the 10,000rpm drives (16mb) (western dig. is my perfered brand)
Dont "skimp" on RAM...2 gig min. (with room for more)
Get a good motherboard (main board) i prefer asus, of the 7 PC's we have 6 have asus main boards)
XP PRO or XP PRO...lol

I could go on but my wife is calling me for dinner!

Hope this help you out at least a little.

thanks for the additional info. everything is a major help. also I was looking at vision computers does anyone have experience w/them? they are running a special on a dual monitor setup but I figure i'll have to bump it up some. thanks again ---Sean

bullcrew

Id go tiger direct, heard alot of good things about them. I wanted speed period and the guy I had helping me is good but coep america I need to put a catalog together good. I need speed so i took it upon myself and in under a week built it to the gills abd now added water cooling and modded it. Its relaibale nad bulletproof but best of all its fast!!!!!!!!!
Try tiger and let them know what you want out of it do this to a couple of other competitors and then post results here for a shootout.

Or go to www.uabit.com (forums Usually in intel 775 forum) and chalk a conversation with master of none. Guy is extremely smart and knows his stuff (a little too much). He can recomend from a comp guys stand point as to what will work. He helped me to this point.

eforer

I recommend an Intel E6850 CPU. Its a good fast chip for the money and its easily over clocked to over 3.6 ghz. The asus P5k deluxe is a good motherboard to mate it to. It is fully featured, reasonably priced and well suited to over clocking. A tuniq tower is the best CPU cooler on the market. If you overclock, you may want to consider some memory and chipset cooling help. Also, get a big case with lots of room and a ginourmous power supply.

While I agree a minimum of 2 gb of ram is a good idea, keep in mind that its a killer CPU that is at the heart of a good system when your dealing with RIP. As much as I am a hardcore AMD guy, the new Intel stuff is vastly superior. My advice however is that unless you have Onyx, or you frequently rip more than 2 jobs simultaneously, stick with a dual core. The cost benefit of a quad core is really lousy if you don't meet the aforementioned criteria.

Also, don't cheap out on generic ram, cheap ram is the #1 source of stability issues.

Unless your gaming, don't shell out on an expensive video card, any PCI Express video card will be more than adequate for any designer/sign maker. The big dollar cards improve 3d performance, which is worth nothing to us. I personally prefer Nvidia based cards as I think N-View is a better multi-monitor environment when compared to ATI's hydra vision.

As far as hard disks go. I highly recommend going with a RAID 5 setup. It will require the purchase of at least 3 hard drives. A RAID 5 is a best of both worlds setup. It provides single disk failure fault protection and improves read and write performance. Hard drives are the reliability weak point of modern computing, so anticipate failures, especially on bigger drives.

In addition to a RAID 5 array, I recommend setting up the partitions as follows: Set 40 GB as FAT 32 and install your OS and all your programs to this partition. I suggest making it your "C" drive. Make a 6 gb partition formatted in FAT 32 for your swap file (aka scratch disk, virtual memory etc.) You should never have a swap file that large, but its good to leave extra room. Format the rest of the array for storage of all your files and projects in NTFS.

If anyone needs help with building their first PC or anything I'm happy to help, just PM me and I can walk you through it. Its super easy and saves a ton of $$$$. Also, New Egg and zip zoom fly are your friends, stay away from eBay.

mark in tx

Ideal situation is a dedicated RIP computer.

Many people can't afford this, so they have 1 "good" computer with the RIP, Illustrator, Photoshop, connected to the internet, checking email, etc...
But all those other programs slow down the RIP, so they buy another computer, a little faster, but they still run all those other programs.
See where this is going?

bullcrew

I recommend an Intel E6850 CPU. Its a good fast chip for the money and its easily over clocked to over 3.6 ghz. The asus P5k deluxe is a good motherboard to mate it to. It is fully featured, reasonably priced and well suited to over clocking. A tuniq tower is the best CPU cooler on the market. If you overclock, you may want to consider some memory and chipset cooling help. Also, get a big case with lots of room and a ginourmous power supply.
Tunig got beat by the thremalright 120 extreme, as a matter of fact almost all coolers Air and some H20 got owned by it. Mine almost got beat by the darn thing at OC loads and its 1/4th the price, I upped fan speed and flow on mine to compensate...
I agree on the E6850 because i run the same but quad is bettre in terms of multi tasking (been proven in almost any thread including PS apps) Its cheaper the e6850 as well by like $10. Id get one if I didnt have the e6850 already.

Go ABit ip35 pro..... :thumb:

bullcrew

here it is with the cover off.

Attachments

• cleaned-caseweb-SMALL.gif
    cleaned-caseweb-SMALL.gif
    180.6 KB · Views: 214
  • close-up-thru-caseweb.gif
    close-up-thru-caseweb.gif
    293.5 KB · Views: 229