• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to Upgrade

Grose Signs

We have been staying real busy the past few months now and I fell it's time to let go of our 90s era sign equipment and upgrade to something more modern. I have been looking at the Roland Printer/Cutters and have really liked them. The thing is a lot of our clients don't want everything to be digitally printed, but rather just one color vinyl. I guess really my question is with the new printer/cutters out there on the market today can you use say black or blue media to cut out signs with out actually printing on the media? For example Bob comes in and needs a simple USDOT number could I use the printer/cutter to just contour cut the numbers without using any ink? Thanks and I'm welcome to any suggestions on what particular equipment I should really look at.
Thanks once again,
Justin

Salmoneye

Just imagine it as two separate machines, a straight printer and a straight plotter; You just have the advantage of doing both at the same time if you want to and don't need to laminate. The other advantage is only taking up the floorspace of one unit. Disadvantage could be that if you are very busy you could be cutting on one machine while printing on the other. I don't think that there is anything that you can do you your equipment that you can't do on a modern printer/cutter.

boxerbay

we looked at it and found it to be rather slow for printing. i did like the metallic and white ink options but using those were even slower.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also keep in mind that the white and silver (same as on a Mimaki) - they cost double the other inks and if you are not using those 2 near daily they will clog like crazy.

But yeah - they are essentially 2 separate machines on one chassis and can be used individually. Only thing to keep in mind is as mentioned - if you anticipate your work increasing you might find yourself in the position of having to wait a lot for one thing to finish so you can do the other and far more often than not, digital prints need to be laminated. That means pulling it off that machine, laminating then putting it back on to cut. I personally would suggest separate machines so both can be going at the same time. I have our JV33 printing a wrap right now while at the same time the Summa cutter is cutting out 200 single color cut vinyl logos - it's nice to have both going at the same time. If you do want to go with a combo machine also give the Mimaki CJV30 machines a look. Both it and the Rolands are excellent machines and use much of the same technology.

Jackpine

I too personally would suggest separate machines so both can be going at the same time. You will have a better work flow and faster production.

we have several pieces of equipment......i would highly recommend the roland printer/plotter machines, real work horse and is a great investment.

Gene@mpls

I love my VP540 and am starting to look for a XC540- great machine.It is not a great plotter tho- you need a dedicated plotter as well.

EricRamse

We're moving forward with an HPL25500 and a Graphtec cutter. That will allow us to do anything full color or single color vinyl. Got a package including Onyx 10 for under $21K.