Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to Vent

Discussion in 'Roland' started by SoCalN8V, Sep 19, 2008.

1. SoCalN8V

SoCalN8V Active Member

Hee hee! Thought that title would get some attention.

We have a Roland Soljet Pro XC540 and will be moving it to it's own room soon. We have never vented it and would like to do this now but we have no clue how to do this. Our guys looked all over and under the printer and couldn't see where you'd connect any ductwork. If anyone has done this, can you please post pictures? Thanks!!!

Tags:
  2. SignAttack

SignAttack Member

Sep 19, 2008
    The smell is like perfume after awhile haha
    But well don't got picture but one idea might be this:
    We use to have a paint room and use this big fan in wall that opened up these flaps when on and when off the flaps would close when off
    only downside i guess is that it is pretty loud.... but I would imagine you can get a small one than we had at the shop.
    Btw it will suck your nose hair out if you had it on and door close lol

3. zmatalucci

zmatalucci Very Active Member

can you just vent the room in general?

4. SoCalN8V

SoCalN8V Active Member

The room has a door to the inside only and no windows. We did get permission from the building's owner to cut a hole in the exterior wall - we definitely want to run ductwork but don't know where on the printer it hooks up to. Anybody who's familiar with this printer that knows how to hook up the duct?

5. Stove exhaust fan works wonders.

6. SoCalN8V

SoCalN8V Active Member

Can I just stick a good quality air purifier in the room?

7. Fuzzbuster

Fuzzbuster Active Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Ottawa
  8. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    A venting fan in the wall close to the machine should do it. We just use mild solvent inks here and dont vent at all. I might open the doors and windows when I want to heat up the outdoors.
    Cheers!
    Ken

9. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    On our XC540, we cut two 4" holes in the back side of the main cover and attached plastic flanges for dryer duct. Both of those ducts run to a T and the fan actually sits right over where the ink carts are. From there it goes straight out the roof.
    All parts were purchased at Home Depot for about $200 or so. I think the fan I used was a 750cfm (?) fan for exhausting a restroom.

This makes a HUGE difference in not only the smell in the air, but I don't go home with headaches after printing all day long anymore. You can definitely tell if the fan's been turned off.

10. flyinhawaiian968

flyinhawaiian968 Member

Mar 12, 2008
    What about dust being directed over the print area? Any issues with dust in the prints so far? I assume the fan you're using doesn't move a whole lot of air, but would still think its enough to pull dust into the printhead area.

Not that I mind the smell, it sorta reminds me just how much money is being made, or wasted, depending on whether the job runs correctly or not!!!

Chris

11. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    That was a big concern with our printer tech, but we haven't had any issues so far. The fan was the highest flowing that I could find at Home Depot, but you can't really feel anything pulling in at the front or rear of the printer. You can feel (and REALLY smell) it at the exhaust side.

When we first started printing, it never used to bother me. Then we started printing a lot more (our printers can typically run 12+ hours per day). I started going home with headaches, and noticed everyone getting a little moody later in the day. Nobody else complained about headaches, but I suspect that's where the moodiness came from.

Also, I've lost of couple of relatives recently to lung cancer. I've never smoked, but definitely don't want to come down with cancer. Not a nice way to go.