• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need to vent...

gabagoo

I was red in the face this morning from having to deal with an absolute
%^%$ head customer.
Well in fact I am normally his customer as he does engraving and small dye sub work.

He emails me a pdf file to quote Monday afternoon.
So first off in his e-mail he is asking me for a quote on 3.25" x 6.25" printed decals x200 pieces.
Ok, I open the pdf file and there is a graphic designed all in black with a red key line around everything. I marquee the entire graphic and it is indeed 3.25" x 6.25". pretty straight forward to me.

The graphic really should be of no interest to me, but it seems to be 3 black key lined boxes with columns of "R"'s in each. Basically each 3.25" x 6.25" decal has a multitude of these "R's everywhere in 3 seperate boxes.

I called the guy and I gave him a price printed on my Mimaki and out of curiosity asked him what they did with a decal like this. He said they wrap them around wires. I have no idea what they are for and could really care less but it just looked odd.

He tells me that I have to print them on the Edge and that his regular guy is to busy. I told him the Edge generally costs more and I worked out a price. He said it was to much and could I do it for X amount.
I agreed as he has done some stuff for me at very reasonable prices so it was basically a favor you might say, even though I would make money on the job, it was not what I generally selll Edge graphics for.

So I print 210 pieces for him and the next day we cut them into individuals and ship them out for him.

This morning he calls me to tell me that they are all cut up wrong....

I get on the phone and ask him what the hell he is talking about and he tells me that each column of "R"'s was supposed to be cut individually.

I took a deep breath and said to him...read your e-mail you sent and tell me how I would have figured that out. I told him you asked for 200 pcs of 3.35" x 6.25" decals and thats what you got. I also told him, why would you send me a file like this then? Why would you not send me one column of "R's and tell me you needed the 1" x .25" printed and cut 9000 times? I also told him I would never do a job like this that cheaply.

He was a complete dink and continued to argue with me that I should have basically known better.
I told him I had no intentions of reprinting and that I would no longer be using his services if he did not accept the fact that he had mis instructed me and given me false information. I repeated over and over.."read your e-mail "200 pcs 3.25" x 6.25" thats what I sent you!!!!

I then hung up as I have no time to deal with a complete idiot.

He calls me back and still will not take responsibility for what he sent and asked for. He then tells me.."would $50 cover your materials. I said it would and then says to me that he will send me $50 and because I threatened to not use him ever again that he did not want my business any longer ( I might give him $300.00 a year) I think he figured I would say no no no, but I said fine!! send me the $50.00 and I will go elsewhere. lol

What bothers me is that he himself would have screwed up an engraving job if I had sent a file like this to him. he knows he screwed up but I guess doesn't want to pay for his mistake , so he is willing to forgo my business to save $100.00.

OK I have vented and fell better now.
I have attached the file he sent me...tell me where i went wrong?

Attachments

• WIRE MARKER LETTER R.pdf
    6.5 KB · Views: 83

Fatboy

I was red in the face this morning from having to deal with an absolute
%^%$ head customer.
Well in fact I am normally his customer as he does engraving and small dye sub work.

He emails me a pdf file to quote Monday afternoon.
So first off in his e-mail he is asking me for a quote on 3.25" x 6.25" printed decals x200 pieces.
Ok, I open the pdf file and there is a graphic designed all in black with a red key line around everything. I marquee the entire graphic and it is indeed 3.25" x 6.25". pretty straight forward to me.

The graphic really should be of no interest to me, but it seems to be 3 black key lined boxes with columns of "R"'s in each. Basically each 3.25" x 6.25" decal has a multitude of these "R's everywhere in 3 seperate boxes.

I called the guy and I gave him a price printed on my Mimaki and out of curiosity asked him what they did with a decal like this. He said they wrap them around wires. I have no idea what they are for and could really care less but it just looked odd.

He tells me that I have to print them on the Edge and that his regular guy is to busy. I told him the Edge generally costs more and I worked out a price. He said it was to much and could I do it for X amount.
I agreed as he has done some stuff for me at very reasonable prices so it was basically a favor you might say, even though I would make money on the job, it was not what I generally selll Edge graphics for.

So I print 210 pieces for him and the next day we cut them into individuals and ship them out for him.

This morning he calls me to tell me that they are all cut up wrong....

I get on the phone and ask him what the hell he is talking about and he tells me that each column of "R"'s was supposed to be cut individually.

I took a deep breath and said to him...read your e-mail you sent and tell me how I would have figured that out. I told him you asked for 200 pcs of 3.35" x 6.25" decals and thats what you got. I also told him, why would you send me a file like this then? Why would you not send me one column of "R's and tell me you needed the 1" x .25" printed and cut 9000 times? I also told him I would never do a job like this that cheaply.

He was a complete dink and continued to argue with me that I should have basically known better.
I told him I had no intentions of reprinting and that I would no longer be using his services if he did not accept the fact that he had mis instructed me and given me false information. I repeated over and over.."read your e-mail "200 pcs 3.25" x 6.25" thats what I sent you!!!!

I then hung up as I have no time to deal with a complete idiot.

He calls me back and still will not take responsibility for what he sent and asked for. He then tells me.."would $50 cover your materials. I said it would and then says to me that he will send me $50 and because I threatened to not use him ever again that he did not want my business any longer ( I might give him $300.00 a year) I think he figured I would say no no no, but I said fine!! send me the $50.00 and I will go elsewhere. lol

What bothers me is that he himself would have screwed up an engraving job if I had sent a file like this to him. he knows he screwed up but I guess doesn't want to pay for his mistake , so he is willing to forgo my business to save $100.00.

OK I have vented and fell better now.
I have attached the file he sent me...tell me where i went wrong?

Sorry to hear but now learn this lesson.....deposit,deposit deposit!

Maybe his red box was the box he thought would be used for reg. marks. and that the cut line should be all of those box lines. However from what he sent you and what you made I would say you did everything correctly as instructed. If I want two raiders logos cut a certain size I'm not going to send you a file with two raiders logos next to each other in the same size. This was def. his fault. For $300 bucks a year slam the door and don't look back.

ChicagoGraphics

I would have printed them in strips like they are in the picture, he just sent them wrong way to you and doesn't want to take the blame for his own mistake.

CanuckSigns

Yeah i would have made them exactly as you did if I got this file.

let me know if you need any engraving done in the future Barry

gabagoo

Thanks Scott.....so since returning from lunch, the drama continues... He said to me that he would send me a $50 cheque to cover my expenses and that he no longer wanted me to send him work because I threatened not to use him in the future over this BS.

I said fine and we sent him a $50.00 invoice....now this is where the guy is a complete screw ball. he now e-mails me back asking if I want a $50 check or would I like it as a credit towards future work from him...

WTF!!!!! this guy has to me on meds or something. I sent back an e-mail.. I want a $50 check and will no longer require his services lol.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let's turn these lemons into lemonade.......................

:beer

:Oops: No can do. Might as well have a drink and then go shoot his frickin' a$$.............. :rock-n-roll:

mtygabriel

R R R,

R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R
R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R

R R R R,

R R R

:banghead:

J

john1

I see where you are coming from but to me personally, I would take it as since you heard from him these wrapped around wires, the rectangle strips would be 1 decal itself so he needed X amount of those rectangle decals.

Just a misunderstanding on both parts really.

gabagoo

I see where you are coming from but to me personally, I would take it as since you heard from him these wrapped around wires, the rectangle strips would be 1 decal itself so he needed X amount of those rectangle decals.

Just a misunderstanding on both parts really.

your wrong... I misunderstood nothing. He sent a file that was clearly 3.25" x 6.25" and asked for 200 pieces of that size. thats what I gave him.
Whatever the file contains is not by business. If I even had the slightest doubt as to what he wanted I would have called and discussed it. He is in the business and should know better.

If someone asks you for 200 pieces that generally means you cut the graphic 200 times...this guy was expecting 9000 seperate shapes to be cut...big difference to me.

J

john1

your wrong... I misunderstood nothing. He sent a file that was clearly 3.25" x 6.25" and asked for 200 pieces of that size. thats what I gave him.
Whatever the file contains is not by business. If I even had the slightest doubt as to what he wanted I would have called and discussed it. He is in the business and should know better.

If someone asks you for 200 pieces that generally means you cut the graphic 200 times...this guy was expecting 9000 seperate shapes to be cut...big difference to me.

Why attack me for voicing a opinion on my approach to this if it were me?

Honestly, I would question the order up front so everything is 100% clear up front. You seeing the file, then knowing that these little guys wrap around wires should have keyed in that why would he wrap multiple stripes around wires and that each strip should be a separate decal. I go over each order thoroughly to ensure accuracy and haven't had a mistake yet. *knock on wood*

I never said you were wrong or blamed you for anything at all. Please don't assume i thought that because i did not.

Geesh.

gabagoo

Why attack me for voicing a opinion on my approach to this if it were me?

Honestly, I would question the order up front so everything is 100% clear up front. I do this a lot with orders and haven't had a mistake yet. *knock on wood*

I never said you were wrong or blamed you for anything at all. Please don't assume i thought that because i did not.

Geesh.
\
sorry John, I don't mean to attack you...I am having a bad day...not just over this...it's just a day whereby i should have gone golfing or something outside of dealing with customers.

J

john1

No worries Barry. We all have bad days or a bad few moments of the day.

I understand how it is to be frustrated then come off harsh sometimes. I've been there and after the fact i am aware and apologetic. Life is a learning experience, This is a lesson learned :)

mtygabriel

Some customers need alot of help in communicating what they R R R R REALLY want. Some ASSume you can read their thoughts! Sometimes it's just not enough. In this case it looks the customer either didn't do a good job communicating or, if you want to be devious, he tried to pull a fast one on all the cutting or plainly even the job itself. :toasting: Have a cold one!