• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need vinyl roller stand..

halder

Hi all..
Were getting a new 54" printer this week..and were looking for some type of stand to hold the 54 inch material on behind the printer.. maybe some type of wall mounted rack that the material can be mounted on and be able to just go behind the machine.. feed through whichever material we need to use without haveing to physically put the rolls on the machine.. or even maybe just like an extra set of rollers behind the feed rollers.. anyone have any ideas?..
Thanks..
Rick..
www.vitalsignsofchester.com

iSign

you a big shop or little?

sounds like a big idea for a little shop, in which case i think it's never done, and for a reason...

don't worry, if you have all that time to waste and you are just getting your first printer... you won't have it long... just lift the roll each time like the rest of us... best advice I can give ya... sorry

petepaz

i forget who posted it but if you do a search you should be able to find it but someone built a wall mounted stand for holding the rolls of vinyl
they even posted the plans so you could build it your self
it was really nice looking just haven't had a chance to build it yet
i don't think you can use it to feed the material through but it is a really good idea
for storage

Tony McD

I think the hardest part of this idea, would be keeping everything lined up.
If the media is separate of the machine, and the machine gets bumped...it's out of whack.

petesign

I think the hardest part of this idea, would be keeping everything lined up.
If the media is separate of the machine, and the machine gets bumped...it's out of whack.

^^^^ What he said. And sometimes, you have to adjust the roll on the back of the machine when a roll doesn't come centered on the core... then you will also be buying 38" banner material all of the time, so you don't waste 18" per linear foot of material you have printed when someone orders the 3x8' banner because its so much cheaper than the 4x8.

What I did, was go to home depot and buy one of those shelves that are made out of wire that have the bracket arms that run down the wall, then you can make some t-hadles out of pvc pipes to keep the rolls from falling over. Cheap and easy... plus you can store cut vinyl and other stuff on the shelf. I have seen some beautiful racks on here (GG has one -- wait, what..) but mine was really easy to make and it works for me.

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 143

halder

Thanks everyone..
I have been in business for 12 years now doing everything on a 30".. so moving up with a 54" will be a little tricky for us.. I couldnt find anything made by Roland for either of my machines to do what I want.. I just thought someone would have come up with even a stand with rollers on it identical to the ones already on the machine that you could just attach the stand to the machine so it would move with it.. and be able to have more than one material ready behind the machine to make things easier when you are working on it alone. Hopefully though now with 54" we will have less seams on our wraps..
Thanks again for everyones help and input.

Nuagedesigns

I have 2 of these now on the wall behind my printer. Budyy of mine welded themnout of aluminum for me contact me if your interested. He has material stamped out for more.

Attachments

• image-276483486.png
    image-276483486.png
    854.7 KB · Views: 188
  • image-988215376.png
    image-988215376.png
    913.5 KB · Views: 154

Malkin

I bought several extra sets of the core insert roller things, and it saves a lot a time to just leave them on the rolls instead of constantly changing them out.

Rooster

Vinyl rolls stored long term horizontally will cause the core to become egg shaped if not supported completely inside the core. Supporting it on the ends only will cause it to droop in the middle with time.

Don't even think about trying to feed the vinyl from the rack on the wall through the printer. Your need everything lined up and parallel and you're just asking for problems with that idea.

I have a small shop that's currently in my basement and have no problems with storing media standing on end and getting around everything. The work space can't be more than 250-300 square feet and I manage fine. You'll adjust.