• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need vinyl that will stick to latex painted drywall and cement block exterior

ddubia

We have two jobs coming up that we need to print and contour cut and apply to latex painted walls. One is interior cement block along with latex painted drywall and the other job is exterior cement block.

One job requires 10" letters, all CAPS, of Cachet, Std, Bold which has all rounded corners for both the interior drywall and the cement block wall. The other exterior job will be large cacti for a Mexican restaurant.

My son works for a graphics company who uses 3-M 180 on interior walls painted with latex. They are a huge, top-of-the-line company but I'm still skeptical of using 180 for that.

Grimco tells me they have a product that they know will stick but are unsure of the plotting capabilities of it. It is intended for floor graphics. They are sending me a small sample to plot.

It's called ALUMIGRAPHICS GRIP_Aluminum foil based printable substrate, pressure sensitive, acrylic adhesive, no over laminate required, withstands heavy pedestrian traffic for up to 1 year. Excellent slip resistance & reflectivity for nighttime visibility. Easy installation and residue free removal.

After visiting ALUMIGRAPHICS site Alumigraphics.com (developed by Floor Graphics, LLC) there is no information on whether or not it's suitable for latex painted walls, (though it can be cut with a plotter).

Does anyone know of a printable material that will fit the bill of sticking to latex painted walls both interior and exterior as well as painted cement block walls?

The reason I'm questioning all this is because the only way we've ever had any success sticking vinyl to latex has been by first applying a primer, but in the case of individual letters and other shapes I have no confidence in applying primer in just those areas.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

JoeBoomer

Arlon DPF 8000

Arlon DPF 8000 w/ Arlon 3220 laminate. That stuff will stick to anything. I would just do both walls with Arlon to be safe. I've used both HP 9000 solvent and a HP L25500 Latex printer with great results.

[video=youtube;Yj5avQjyNyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5avQjyNyw[/video]

- Go team!

Last edited by a moderator:

ddubia

I went to Arlon's site and then called them. I was told that the DPF 8000, although highly aggressive, is only intended for 6 mos. outdoor and that beyond that it will shrink and the edges will likely curl.

However, they did suggest a cast vinyl 6000XRP which is their vehicle wrap product to be used with their 3220 over laminate. They say it will certainly stick to the latex so long as the condition of the walls are clean and not chalky. (This brings to mind the company my son works for who uses 3-M 180 for latex walls). They are sending me short-roll samples of both the vinyl and over laminate to try.

ddubia

That video made it sound more permanent than the 6 months the sales rep told me. Plus, he showed a tip/trick to keep the edge from curling.

Editing this post as I just checked Sun Supply Inc.'s online catalog, (I don't yet know where to buy the 8000) and it says it has a 5 year outdoor durability! Dang, did I ever get the wrong Arlon phone rep.

boxerbay

you will be fine with IJ180/8518.

Arlon DPF8000 is fine also. We wrapped a fuel tanker truck with it and 5 years later it still looks new. In fact they switched to another vendor that was cheaper and used IJ180/8518lam. The other vendors wrap failed in less than one year due to chemicals. We laminated the DPF8000 with an ARLON chemical resistant laminate. You can get it at fellers.com The arlon rep was trying to upsell you to their cast.

alumagrip? lol... they are stuck with that stock and are trying to move it. waaaaay too expensive.

ddubia

boxer yeah, compared to the cost of the Alumigraphics stuff it's practically free. hahaha. A 53" x 75 foot roll is over $1300. Of course it doesn't require an over laminate.

Just go off the phone with another Alumigraphics rep who promised a call back earlier and his response was timely. I learned a bit more about the product.

Mike, Joe and boxer, between your recommendations and what I've seen doing searches I'm leaning heavily toward the Arlon 8000 material. I'll be getting a sample in a few days so I can check it out.

Thanks for all the help!

ddubia

Bought a roll of ARLON DPF8000 and it arrived yesterday. Had previously gotten a sample roll that I used for printing color proofs that have now been approved. Well, one of the two current jobs have been approved but that's enough for me to start printing them Monday. This material is supposed to outgas for a couple of days due to the make up of it. Then I'll contour cut the lettering, approx. 4'H x 15'W, and it will be installed in a few days.

I'll let you know how it went. This stuff is really sTicKEy!

ddubia

I've been talking to MacTac about some other products. I already have the ARLON 8000 in hand. Will be printing this coming week once I get approval on the second PMS color.

I'll let y'all know how the installation went. Especially on the painted cement block wall. Already know it prints very well.

MikePro

new suggestion, Arlon 6700 with 3200 over lam

or

3M IJ8624 with 8500 overlam.

8000, however, is tough-stuff. I've got a sample on my wall, outside, that still hasn't curled after 6 months of summertime-lovin'.