• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need your input

signwizz

i have a customer that wants two lease signs 4x8 mounted on 6x6 in the ground to but together on a corner so both streets can see it kinda l shaped
how would u go about installing this ,in the ground or post stakes in the ground your help would be appreciated only temporary
thanx shane

signwizz

could you show me roughly how u would install the posts still pretty cold here would u drill or spike them and how would u brace them
thanx shane

MikePro

temporary MDO signage? 6x6's are a bit much, go with 4x4's... but it doesn't really matter, imo. If the customer calls for it, give him whatever lumber he wants.

3 4x4's? idk if i'm reading people's suggestions right, from the first post on this thread i'm imagining a 2-4x8 MDO at 90degree sign installed on a corner....
although 3-4x4's could be cool, but then you need 4 legs instead of 3 and your graphic per panel has to be smaller.

in which I'd suggest you'd make 3 of these:
Tleg.jpg
MDO1:
4x4xhowever tall you like, make a "T" with another 4x4 and loosely thrubolt through the center with a 5/8" bolt+lockwasher+nut so that it collapses to fit onto your truck with the MDO boards and extra lumber. Once on site, you can attach 2 of these "T's" to one of your MDO faces on the ground and then lift the MDO into the air to open the "T" and adjust your angle based on slope of the ground the sign is to rest on, ideally 90degrees (but I've used this setup on a 30ish degree slope before, and then tighten the nut/bolt. Further secure the "T" with 2x4's and deck screws, as shown (and a chunk of 4x4 for a spacer where they meet the vertical bar), and now that you have a self-standing single-faced MDO sign... drill 2-angled holes in both ends of both the 4x4's on the ground (to match diameter of 2' steel rod) and hammer steel rod through holes and into the ground.
MDO2:
Screw the extra "T" leg onto one side of 2nd MDO panel and screw the other side to the middle "T"leg at 90degrees, making your "L"shaped 2sided sign, and secure the leg as said above. Punch holes in other 2 "T" legs and hammer steel rod into the ground as well.
Note: Drawing not to scale, and just drew it up on the fly... but you're gonna want 18"+ steel rod to stake into the ground... the longer they are, the more it'll withstand muddy terrain.

Its not the best setup in the world, but its cheap... quick... and most importantly.... temporary, but won't go anywhere until you want it to. AND NO HOLES TO DIG!!!
This wasn't the prettiest sign I've ever installed, but after only digging 5" after 2hours... I decided that a trip to HomeDepot and a little ingenuity was necessary:
100_2115.jpg
this sign was on a slope, as well. which is why i mention the loose-thrubolt method so that you can make sure that your vertical 4x4's are square before you lock it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

petrosgraphics

MPro good job, these as you know work real well for a temp install..and when you take them down, you are all set to do it again....

MikePro

aye, buy treated lumber for that very reason... last a good long time and easy to re-use for other projects!

In my picture, my vertical legs go down into the ground 6", because I wanted to make use of 2hrs of digging those shallow holes in frozen ground. I applied the same method to an additional sign at another location, with no digging at all (as drawn).