• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Needed: Etched Glass Decal

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If anyone is interested, I'd like a price on a 35"x71" etched glass cut vinyl decal that has the farmers logo on it. Vector art can be provided. Can't be paneled, needs to be all one piece.

2B

Do you have a printer?

If so, we have had great results with the HEXIS line of materials and it is air release for non-water application

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Do you have a printer?

If so, we have had great results with the HEXIS line of materials and it is air release for non-water application

Why would you need a printer? I think you need a plotter to do this.

2B

because the Farmers Insurance Logo is full color, and of the ones we have made have all been full color

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No the farmers is just cut out from the etched. Its for an office window that I messed up. Customer said he payed $310 for the decal and I said pound sand. Getting quotes much lower then that.

ikarasu

I'd help you if you were in Canada... unfortunately shipping to USA would be close to $100 alone.

$310 for 18 sqft just for material? sounds like that guy got ripped off. Most sign shops with a plotter carry some frosted/etched glass, I'd call around.. probably a better price than getting it shipped.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'd help you if you were in Canada... unfortunately shipping to USA would be close to $100 alone.

$310 for 18 sqft just for material? sounds like that guy got ripped off. Most sign shops with a plotter carry some frosted/etched glass, I'd call around.. probably a better price than getting it shipped.

Meh local won't help me. January and February is our boom time here and everyone is a month out.

Yea $310 is a rape. I don't take 100% blame for the install not going right. It was on a thin plexiglass sheet instead of a real window and I was afraid it was going to pop out while I applied it. I should of known better then to try but the lady in charge said she would help push the plexi on the other side to keep it from bending. I told them I doubt this was going to work and what do ya know... Of course stories change when it came time to tell their boss what happened. They act like I didn't warn them about this not working and it's all my fault. Told the boss I didn't mind getting them another decal and applying it with the plexi at my shop or real windows. He said its $310 and I just said I'm sorry you paid that much but I'm not covering that. I was only charging them $225 to install TWO decals. Made a concession and e-mailed him offering to cover 50%. He can pay me the other half and I'll send him the replacement decal.

I really should of been more cautious and not attempted it.... lesson learned :\

Last edited:

2B

DANG! wish I could charge that much for etched glass film.
Even with the etched vinyl stuck to the 177 clear acrylic from a recent project we still are lower than that price.

we are busy, but a month out? no way!
Regardless of retail and especially wholesale an order would never take a month

yup even when they offer to help, we always refuse the help.
Here is a prime example why

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Did I mention he paid $310 for two of those decals...each! He emailed me the receipt for $620 from some ripoff national sign shop. Guess those independent Farmers agents are getting the mighty buying power of their corporate conglomerate and saving big $$.

ikarasu

It takes 5 minutes to load and cut. If you have your own premask I'm sure even the busiest shops will do it if you offer to weed and premask yourself.

We tend to help out other shops... Not sure on how it is in your city, but usually if a shop was in a bind we move stuff around / delay some shipments. I'd email a few places for a quote... I'm sure one will hit you back.

It's always good to have a great relationship with other sign shops in your area . We've borrowed rolls.of vinyl, outsourced for cheap during printer downtimes, and we do the same when they're in need of help .

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We
It takes 5 minutes to load and cut. If you have your own premask I'm sure even the busiest shops will do it if you offer to weed and premask yourself.

We tend to help out other shops... Not sure on how it is in your city, but usually if a shop was in a bind we move stuff around / delay some shipments. I'd email a few places for a quote... I'm sure one will hit you back.

It's always good to have a great relationship with other sign shops in your area . We've borrowed rolls.of vinyl, outsourced for cheap during printer downtimes, and we do the same when they're in need of help .

I do have a good relationship with several shops here but they are mostly "big guys" that outsource this kind of stuff to me.. so I didn't want to bother them with piddly stuff. Shipping a 3' tube shouldn't be crazy high. I appreciate the people that messaged me prices. Waiting to see if the customer responds to the email, last conversation with them they were over-talking me and pushy and didnt want to accept nothing less then $310 from me.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ok, this sleezball insurance agent was trying to scam me. On the SECOND page of the order he emailed me it says that Farmers reimburses him 50% after paying the sign company as part of "Cost Sharing" No wonder he didn't want me to replace the decal, he was trying to pocket some extra $$.

CanuckSigns

Always let the client know that installations of customer supplied material is done with no guarantees, you don't know what material was used, how old is was, it may have been ripped a bit when weeded already and will show in the final product (especially with etch film!)

A cut, weeded and masked decal like that should retail to the end user uninstalled for around $100, tell him if he ordered the vinyl from you you would have charged him $310 installed and it would come with a guarantee...