• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Needing Fire Apparatus "Ornaments"

Does anyone know of a source for "ornaments" such as the one below? I've looked everywhere and only found one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 137
I did look there, that is a great collection with many things that I can use, but there are only two similar ornaments. I'm looking for more options closer to the one I attached, if there are any out there.

2B

What about getting that image vectorized then you have an exact match.

Jillbeans

Print it out as big as you can on paper, tape it to a window, put another piece of paper over it and trace it with a Sharpie, then scan it, import it into your design program, and clean it up.
Love....Jill

OldPaint

JILL, JILL..........silly girl, what your saying to do......is above his skill/ pay grade)))))))
he wants FREE VECTOR CLIPART......

round man

that particular scroll was done originally by a buddy of mine in real gold quite some time back,...what you have pictured is probably digitized from a pattern and or photo of the original,...reason I know is I used to work with him doing gold at a firetruck dealer who serviced the two Carolina's,...

OldPaint

i was gona say that timmi, as it looked like a hand drawn set of scrolls. the 1st 2 that came to mind was mike jacksons 2 CD's or don copelans art work.

JILL, JILL..........silly girl, what your saying to do......is above his skill/ pay grade)))))))
he wants FREE VECTOR CLIPART......

No I don't want anything for free, I just wanted to know if someone could point me in the right direction to find it and I will gladly pay for it. Yes I could have used the one I posted as an example, but that is a local department's design that is unique to them and I would rather not copy it. Especially now that I know it was done by hand locally. Thank you all for the replies.

round man

that scroll is not unique to that fire dept., I've seen my buddy use it several times for several different fire departments across a 2 state area,...it is a personal variation of the old antique le france asphaltum shaded scrolls and brackets used to denote an individual fire dept. squad number and or truck number,traditionally called a bracket scroll,...

Time was when a signwriter spent many years perfecting his skills to learn the art of firetruck gilding before the fire departments would even consider letting them near an expensive piece of fire apparatus,...scrolls and brackets like that took alot of research and networking over a period of years to even find and or gain access to them. The guy who created it has since retired after a lifetime of hard exceptional work with the bitter taste left by over $100k in profits a year lost to newbies who think and try to sell the fact that they have purchased a magic button they can push to produce a suitable solution to replace a valuable time honored effort with a more economical substitute. My disdain here is not with the factors of today's market and the fact that they can produce a suitable replacement for a fraction of the cost and effort, but the idea that there is that actual button on their keyboard they can push to get what is the result of a lifetime of effort for a fraction of that effort without any pursuit of the skills needed to produce said effort. Some things you can't just get on the internet and buy with the pushing of a couple keys on a keyboard. I see alot of snide comments here about newbies wanting that elusive piece of clipart(said magic button) but few people offering the advice on how to create and learn the art of creating it in the first place. I guess my primary disdain here is with the ideal among newcomers to this trade that they don't need these skills to produce the clipart,they can buy it,....I don't care what arguments the opposition can present here you cannot purchase design and creative skills you must learn them,...'nuff said,...flame on,...

John Butto

Old times there are not forgotten, Look away, look away, look away

that scroll is not unique to that fire dept., I've seen my buddy use it several times for several different fire departments across a 2 state area,...it is a personal variation of the old antique le france asphaltum shaded scrolls and brackets used to denote an individual fire dept. squad number and or truck number,traditionally called a bracket scroll,...

Time was when a signwriter spent many years perfecting his skills to learn the art of firetruck gilding before the fire departments would even consider letting them near an expensive piece of fire apparatus,...scrolls and brackets like that took alot of research and networking over a period of years to even find and or gain access to them. The guy who created it has since retired after a lifetime of hard exceptional work with the bitter taste left by over $100k in profits a year lost to newbies who think and try to sell the fact that they have purchased a magic button they can push to produce a suitable solution to replace a valuable time honored effort with a more economical substitute. My disdain here is not with the factors of today's market and the fact that they can produce a suitable replacement for a fraction of the cost and effort, but the idea that there is that actual button on their keyboard they can push to get what is the result of a lifetime of effort for a fraction of that effort without any pursuit of the skills needed to produce said effort. Some things you can't just get on the internet and buy with the pushing of a couple keys on a keyboard. I see alot of snide comments here about newbies wanting that elusive piece of clipart(said magic button) but few people offering the advice on how to create and learn the art of creating it in the first place. I guess my primary disdain here is with the ideal among newcomers to this trade that they don't need these skills to produce the clipart,they can buy it,....I don't care what arguments the opposition can present here you cannot purchase design and creative skills you must learn them,...'nuff said,...flame on,...

Agree 100%, great advice and observation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dammit..... wish I woulda said that.....:thumb:

You do realize round........ you're only gonna get a handful of people agreeing with you and they're all gonna have white hair and beards............... :ROFLMAO: maybe even a mullet..........

SignosaurusRex

BULLSEYE Tim! :thumb:

OldPaint

YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR WHAT THE .........MULLET THINKS)))))
its really sad to see where this business has gone. mostly because of the non-artistic people who claim to be graphic artists.....
and people asking for STICK PEOPLE CLIPART.............proves their ineptitude.
i am a friend of timmi's, we have spent time painting, a couple times.......and to watch and learn from someone with skills and abilities like his and mine.........with paint and brushes.....just has a whole different dimension then exchanging clipart)))))))
but it is what it is..........i see signs, and see how most dont know what they are doing as for design..and it aint getting better.

Jillbeans

If you want to do your own, sketch it out with a pencil, you may need a French curve.
Once you get it the way you like it, ink it in with a rapidograph. If your rapidograph is dried up (like mine) you can use a good quality fine point marker.
Scan it, import it onto your design program, and clean up the nodes, then outline or contour it.
It's not really that hard to do.
You can also use a font like A&S Gingerbread, which has some neat little ornaments, and combine those to get something unique.

Billct2

I have a really nice disk with lots of beautiful designs by Steve Kafka, Karen Souza, Bob Behounek, Mr. J, John Hannukaine, Russ Mowry, Tramp, Bob Bond and Ed Kole who did a lot of nice fire emblems & scrolls. Guess they didn't know they were killing the craft when they did them.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i think fred sells those CD's.......i also have all 3 @ $199.00 each........i think you can buy all 3 for that now.
its called VECTOR ART 1-2-3
http://www.vectorart3d.com/collections/

All the firefighter ornaments are in Volume 1 of Vector Art Mega Collection. We no longer sell the Vector Art collections but offer all their images individually at ExpressClipart.com. That is the link I gave in post #2 of this thread. Vector Art also offers them individually at this link.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have a really nice disk with lots of beautiful designs by Steve Kafka, Karen Souza, Bob Behounek, Mr. J, John Hannukaine, Russ Mowry, Tramp, Bob Bond and Ed Kole who did a lot of nice fire emblems & scrolls. Guess they didn't know they were killing the craft when they did them.

Actually, you're right. They didn't know. They were marketing and reaching a far larger crowd and audience by selling their stuff cheap, but in volumes through trade magazines. Without SignCraft and later... some of the other magazines, they never would've done it. The computer age helped that little venue also. Mike Stevens books didn't get sold much except in local circles. Mike was in the next town up from me in his last years and that's when I got to know him. Not until you went to a sign meet, did many people hear of him and some of the others. Heck, ask Dan A right here in our ranks. Do you think he'd have sold anything without SignCraft behind him ??

Think of a day when we could not tell what was going on in the next town over, let alone like now, if someone farts in China, we know about it before he wipes. The world has shrunk and good business people are just trying to market their wares anyway they can. With websites and forums, it's been made fool proof. Hence, the reason so many unskilled, non-honed people in this and many other trades are appearing. The workforce has gone flat and everyone wants to own a business. Doesn't matter how successful or how Mickey Mousey it is, it beats not working.