• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Neewww Guy Here. I Have A Billion Questions Lol

Eastwind

Hello everyone,
I've been doing vinyl die cut stickers, signs, banners and vinyl wrapping for the past 5 years out of my garage and I've been thinking of stepping up to a Roland printer/ cutter.

I want to be able to do full printed car wraps with pref windows, signs and bumper stickers, labels, magnets, banners. Also want to do heat pressed printed t shirts. The works haha I was looking at the Roland vs540i but I figured it might be too small to cover the hood of a car since it prints 54" but with wrap material it's usually 60" wide and that extra few inches really helps.

My question is do you guys have Any recommendations? Any info is greatly appreciated. Also, do I need a laminateor for printed graphics / printed wraps? Thank you

henryz

What's that saying" go big or go home", if the $$$ is their why not, but if you are going to be doing mainly bumper stickers and magnets it might not be worth it. The other con is the room you have available, but have to go in it with knowing that you would like to outgrow that machine too. just my 2 pennies...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hello everyone,
I've been doing vinyl die cut stickers, signs, banners and vinyl wrapping for the past 5 years out of my garage and I've been thinking of stepping up to a Roland printer/ cutter.

I want to be able to do full printed car wraps with pref windows, signs and bumper stickers, labels, magnets, banners. Also want to do heat pressed printed t shirts. The works haha I was looking at the Roland vs540i but I figured it might be too small to cover the hood of a car since it prints 54" but with wrap material it's usually 60" wide and that extra few inches really helps.

My question is do you guys have Any recommendations? Any info is greatly appreciated. Also, do I need a laminateor for printed graphics / printed wraps? Thank you

Right now Mimaki has some awesome specials on almost their whole line of printers. You could get a brand new 64" printer for $10,995 + shipping, install etc. The price is all up to your local dealer and you of course but I figured you would want to know. Mimaki is a well known name brand and has a long track record with car wrap businesses.

Eastwind

Thanks guys, I also own a t shirt brand and I have a silk screen set up for the garage but it's just too much work and too messy at the moment. That's another reason I'm looking at printer cutters. T shirts are a huge focus. I do plan on getting a shop later this year to have more room and to do more commercial stuff

printhog

for t shirts look into T-Shirt Printing Equipment - Pantograms.com the oki CMYW machine is waaaay cool..
by far the product that machine makes is incredible. ask for a sample... and you can sub to them for the transfers, and just heat press the shirts.

Since your starting out - sub contract as much as you can to start. Get the feel for what sells and what makes money. Every town is different. There are some great suppliers on here as merchant members. Sub first, equip when you reach 80 sq ft a day consistently or if the timelines dont accomodate subcontract.

By subbing you'll skip the hassles of learning and managing color management and product matrix selections, just concentrate on design and installation, thats what keeps clients. ASK YOUR SUPPLIER FOR THE ICC PROFILES THEY USE FOR THE MATERIAL AND USE THOSE.

PRO TIP FOR THE NEWBS: Upsell your clients to traditional 4 color process work and make money of your design skills. I get an additional $500 to $800 per client per year with this. I use 4over.com and growll.com as my trade printers. 4over has brutally competitive prices, fast delivery, online proofing, and even has a virtual front end that you can totally personalize to make a webstore for your clients. They offer grand format in limited capacity with UV printed magnetics, popup banners, and flags that are quite nice. Theyre usually quick. Im impressed by their output and im a print snob - (I use the standard gracol2006swop profile from GRACoL - Idealliance for consistent color with both firms).. I can double or triple their prices and still be in the low end of the market - for example - they sell 1000 4/0 UV business cards on 14 pt stock for $12, shipping is usually $6, I sell those for $85 plus half an hour of design time ($60) and am very competitive.

MARKETING PRO TIP: Take a very good photo of the wrap (you need it for your portfolio anyway), put it into a sexy biz card layout, and give the client 500 cards (your cost about $16)... they'll be wowed.. you'll get a reason to revisit them a week after the sale, and they'll now know that you can do other work for them.. At very least they'll reorder those cards from you and you have a loyal repeat client..

as for laminator- yes yes yes you need one. aint no way your wraps will make 6 months without laminate or liquid clearcoat. The laminator doubles your entry cost.

as for printer width, you gotta match the laminator and laminates to it. so ask yourself - for that tiny strip of film that you have to add to a hood wrap, which you know will die in 2 years, is it worth the extra $4000 or so in combined printer and laminator cost? If so then go big - to a 74" printer, and a 66" inch laminator. Those extra print inches will pay off in banners.. learn how to weld banner stock and you can hit some big banner work that others pass on.

remember that the cost of keeping a second roll stock of base/lam on hand for hoods means you need to run a lot of wraps to offset the invested value, or you accept the the "drop" and wrap everything in 60" film.. surprisingly 54" fits most vehicles well. I've wrapped cars since 1995,and 54" has been fine IMHO...

Eastwind

Hi guys,
Thank you all for the info!!
How would a "Roland vs 640" hold up to what I want to do? I just ran into a used 7 year old 640 for sale. Has a brand new head. it has been set up to do metallic and white. I have read that people say it's quite slow. What are some of your thoughts? What would you think a decent price for it is? Also has a 30 day warranty

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Great freaking tip! You took the time to reply with your " expertise"? And didn't even offer an alternative. Good job! Go you! Bery Cool!

Yep, you're gonna go far. Making fun of seasoned veterans and the same people who you are asking for help. People will take the time to respond to just about anything in this place...... good, lousy or in between and they do it with the best intentions. Just because you can't detect good advice, is no reason to try your darndest to belittle them. Your feeble attempt here will probably do you more harm than good........ just watch your responses from here. At least it made you feel better, huh ??

On your purchase of old technology, many hours on a piece of equipment....... just take your time while counting out your money when paying for it. It will last longer that way. Take it home, put it in your bedroom and start playing with it and maybe look for a tech to help you get the ball rolling.

Have fun........... and most of all, good luck.​

Johnny Best

Find a sign supply in your area, they have plotters, printers and suggestions on how to set up your expanding "sticker" business.
Also sign shows are also a good source for equipment and deals.

Eastwind

Yep, you're gonna go far. Making fun of seasoned veterans and the same people who you are asking for help. People will take the time to respond to just about anything in this place...... good, lousy or in between and they do it with the best intentions. Just because you can't detect good advice, is no reason to try your darndest to belittle them. Your feeble attempt here will probably do you more harm than good........ just watch your responses from here. At least it made you feel better, huh ??

On your purchase of old technology, many hours on a piece of equipment....... just take your time while counting out your money when paying for it. It will last longer that way. Take it home, put it in your bedroom and start playing with it and maybe look for a tech to help you get the ball rolling.

Have fun........... and most of all, good luck.​

Since I've started looking at this site I see random negative comments on other threads that don't do anything besides make fun of people. let me ask you this... what do you do when you go somewhere for help and a random person tried to belittle you?

Being helpful would have been" first rule, don't use the word "sticker" to describe your products. Use the word "whatever" it looks better as a professional.
Anyways, thanks for the info

Eastwind

Find a sign supply in your area, they have plotters, printers and suggestions on how to set up your expanding "sticker" business.
Also sign shows are also a good source for equipment and deals.
How would I learn about sign shows? Is there a website or thread that gives you info on up coming dates? Since I've got into the industry, I've heard of sign shows but it's always been after they have happened

Johnny Best

I think Yellow tools was talking about one in Fort Lauderdale, Graphics of Americas. Since you are on the west coast check CA & Vegas, They sometimes will show up as ads on this site when they have shows.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since I've started looking at this site I see random negative comments on other threads that don't do anything besides make fun of people. let me ask you this... what do you do when you go somewhere for help and a random person tried to belittle you?

Being helpful would have been" first rule, don't use the word "sticker" to describe your products. Use the word "whatever" it looks better as a professional.
Anyways, thanks for the info

I look 'em straight in the eye and say..... do you wanna re-phrase that or do you want me to punch your f*ckin' lights out ??

Being helpful is basically everyone's intention, but sometimes it doesn't always come off that way. Some people do it on purpose, while others do it with tongue-in-cheek and others just say anything they can think of, just for the sake of saying something, regardless if its of any use or not.

edit: Oh..... and on that first response of mine, it all depends on how big the other guy is. If he's a monster, I'll just laugh and say, you know it...........:big laugh: