• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

neon bender, business partner wanted

oldneon

while i did not start this thread to debate the pros & cons , neon versus led, i apprecaite the comments that go both ways.....,I have worked in many areas of life (oilfield, construction, etc.) & have found some of the sign guys to be some of the handiest people i know especially a sign installer i worked with...also the neon guys i have been around are unbelieveably talented in many other areas however like all of us, lack in some other areas......
I had the pleasure of meeting Rudy Stern who wrote the book " Let There Be Neon" he has since passed away & was credited with resurrecting the slumping fad of neon back in the 1950's due to fluorescent ...Before he died i met him in NYC to buy out his collection of old neon clocks & other mind blowing lite up moving neon displays called the magnawhirl of which i have a near mint example of 2 known to exist...I also have over 200 neon clocks from the 30', 40's & 50's...I have Claude neon pieces & many rare pieces that most people have never heard of...
i am no different than anybody else & love to make money, however i need to do what i love & if its making a meek living doing what i love, I'll choose that path every time, as i know i will be rewarded.....
In conclusion, I was at a buddies of mine full service sign shop who only does a tenth of the neon work they use to do.he was working on a large chain restaurant sign who had recently converted over to led.....he was taking the leds out & said this chain was going back to neon because of some problems they were having & a fire had pushed them over the edge of going back to neon........Now i am no expert on led's however i would think neon transformers would cause many more fires than led's power supplies
, but that is the story he told me........I

John L

Now i am no expert on led's however i would think neon transformers would cause many more fires than led's power supplies
, but that is the story he told me........I

Yeh, thats actually one of the main benefits of the LED... not needing to be so close to a fire department (in the event of a faulty install).

Your pieces just sound fantastic. If you continue to post pics of your items.. I know I would be glued here.

I'm sure some of these are now defunct but you might try contacting these sources for past alumni and contacts.... http://www.neonshop.com/neonweb/schools.html

Also don't forget to spread the word through all the supply houses.

Best of luck with your search.

Craig Sjoquist

Wow was I impressed about your site and what you produce way cool indeed.

Sure hope ya find a bender your well deserving of one, I'll certainly put out the word when I get any chances.

In Mpls. downtown on Washington ave there use to be a school for neon ( not been there in 26 yrs here )but wonders if still there, then again it was by some famous neon bender might be the guy you talked about.

Neon is awesome LED will never replace, I once sale a poorly wired neon sign catch on fire as I was driving by was that strange to see all off sudden it just caught on fire and I happen to be looking at it it was a great looking sign, they redid it it was in Witchita.

oldneon

thanks John & Craig, i appreciate your thoughts......the school on Washington is long gone........
I did have a good bender lined up & he was helping do the remodel of the shop & after the 4th time of him not showing up or calling, i had enough.....I really gave him every benifit of the doubt but after 4 times of apologies i had enough....in 1 month he worked for 4 hours & had excuse after excuse of not showing up or calling...he was very talented but his word meant nothing & to me if a man can't live up to his word, he has nothing...

here is a 2 sided sign (reddy killowat) that sat on top of a power plant & turned in a circle..i have been after one of these for 20 years & they are rare as they were suppose to be destroyed...not many of these around but if you see anything like this or anything cool, I WILL pay up......

reddycollection10.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Koss

Milwaukee glass bender needs work

I don't
know about a partner ship but I sure could do some work for you on a wholesale basis, meet half way for pu and delivery.
call 414-371-1900

MikePro

o hello, 2yr old thread.
although it's interesting to see that I'm not the only one in SE Wisconsin still making their own Neon Signs :)

cheers!
:toasting:

oldneon

I don't know about a partner ship but I sure could do some work for you on a wholesale basis, meet half way for pu and delivery. call 414-371-1900
thanks for the offer but it would be very difficult to beat my local wholesale prices........she even picks up and delivers........the quality is great..........