• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Neon effect with cut vinyl tutorial needed.

graywoulf

I know that a back lit sign using cut vinyl that imitates a neon look is possible. I have seen a tutorial on it somewhere on line years ago but I cannot find any information on it. I do remember that it involves using a reverse cut layer on the back of 1/4" clear Plexiglas and a oversize layer on the front but that is all I remember about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
It's really not that hard. Black overlay with the cutout as you describe ON THE FRONT and color on the back, use clear plexi so you don't wash the colors out, and make sure it's butted panels. Won't look completely like neon, but will give the same feel of it ... Just make sure you design effectively, don't use pre-made typefaces, make your own using your pen tool and a properly rounded stroke and go with intense colors (magenta, blue, yellow, etc) And definantly don't do the poor mans transluscent vinyl on this (high performance)