• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nesting Masked templates in Illustrator.

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
We're building and designing powersports graphics and once we get the templates done, apply the graphics over the top,mask them and then add a cut contour, we would like to ungroup the pieces and be able to nest them. We also use Onyx for a rip program if we could use that to help. I'm new at this so any help would be appreciated!

Ape Creature

Extracting a masked section of an image.

I believe he is trying to apply a complex vector outline over a single image, mask the image with said outline, then extract each individual masked section to nest together for optimal printing... in Illustrator CS6.
Does anyone know if this can be done?

Last edited:

peavey123

Depending on how complicated this thing is. Maybe you can select the part you want, fit artboard to that selection, then export that. Repeat for every section. Import into onyx.

Ape Creature

Another Alternative

Another way is to cut, copy, and paste each individual section of the image from Photoshop in to Illustrator. Apply cut contour, the each section can be rearranged, with contour, into a more print-efficient layout. I believe the goal here is to remove blank space to save on materials.