Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nesting prints with Flexi Production Manager

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by myront, Dec 12, 2018.

1. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    We have several designers dropping multiple print files into a hot folder for the print tech to print thru his RIP station using Flexi Production Manager. Is there any way to nest any of the files into the white "dead" space of other print files? i.e. three pre-nested 18 x 24's from one designer will have an empty space but Flexi won't allow use of that space for any smaller files. Kind of a pia to do manually from a designer.

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Hold the Ctrl button and select the files you want to nest. Once you select the files you want, right click and a menu will pop up and nest will be an option. It will automatically nest them.

3. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Thanks VanderJ. That's the method he's using although it nests the files it won't allow you to drag a file into that dead space or "overlap" files.

4. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    There is a check box on the bottom left corner of the layout window that is labeled, "Manual nesting". Make sure that is checked and you should be able to move them freely. It doesn't let you overlap though.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  5. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Also, I know you are using Corel for the most part, but if you use Flexi designer at all you can use the true shape nesting feature. It automatically nests contour cut images to minimize white space. Here is a video about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    So we haven't experimented with this yet, but you could try the Auto Nest in the Setup Properties. It should only nest jobs that have the same presets, but no promises. Not sure how big your setup is, but you could "Duplicate Setup" and have them designated for banner, sav, etc. Each duplicate can have it's own hot folder. Then auto nest would for sure nest similar jobs.

Attached Files:

7. brycesteiner

brycesteiner Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Ohio
    I'm not seeing these options for nesting when selecting a group of files. Is this when they are being imported or after they are ripped in the job manager?

8. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    upload_2018-12-13_8-23-59.png

9. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    The option for manual nesting is in the layout screen that pops up when you click on job properties. I'm using the latest cloud version but yours might be different.

10. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Just as I suspected, he's already using that method. Won't allow it. It would be nice to have an option to "ignore white space" or something to that effect.

upload_2018-12-13_10-15-48.png

11. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Yeah I wish they would add the feature to the RIP layout screen instead of having to do it in designer. If those red squares are able to be sent as single jobs and then nested it should work the way you want it. If they can't be sent separately, you're out of luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Thanks for the input though.