Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

How many Omega users would use a nesting option to nest vinyl only (cut objects) on a specified sheet or roll?

Would anyone want the same for Edge jobs? This would require gradient fills to be rotated / flipped with object.

User would specify sheet/roll size, spacing and rotation increment of objects.

Tags:
  2. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    it might come in handy as I kind of do it on my own and it might be nice to be able to more efficiently.

3. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Tony, is this a trick question?
    I "nest" stuff like crazy.
    All those years of Home Ec and sewing things made me VERY good at using every last bit of material.
    You mean some people can't figure this out on their own?
    Love....Jill

4. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    that would be a great option as doing it manually in omega is very time consuming.

5. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    ditto to everyone else...i'd be very interested...especially since it's a pain to do a color sep for cutting with the smart edits now....not that i don't like the smart edits....cause i love the REACTION

6. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    if you could nest multiple jobs then yeah. especially if it nested like-colors too.

7. Tony Teveris

Ok, is it not time comsuming to apply nested objects back into a sign?

fenris242 - explain your "pain" a little bit more either in this thread or you can email me with examples.

Jill you would have to upgrade ( about the cost of that Europe trip your about to take)

omgsideburns - thought about that

8. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Nesting should be a standard feature on Omega Composer. Why it isn't already there is beyond me.

9. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm thinking that there might be too many variables in each job to do it well. For example, one job might have an lpi of 70 while one has lpi 40. Then with the different profiles 'n' such, Color Corrections, etc... Or maybe I misunderstand what you mean. I may not be explaining myself very well but I think you can get the jist of what i mean.

10. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    what would be neat is to open several jobs in composer and then assign your colors/cuts, then output all OPEN files and it could autonest and you could move them around or something. (i export from signlab as GAD, open in composer and just assign colors/cuts). what do i know though, im running OLDmega........... =\

11. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    tony, I would be willing to bet that in order for the software to do that, you would need to make files with only the parts to be printed/cut. No background shapes, or vehicle outline, etc.

What would be handy, (pardon me if it is already there, I have a fairly old version of Omega/Composer) is a simple nesting option that would allow for various quantities and sizes of the same thing. Currently, you have to repeat it manually to achieve this. The biggest problem is that it uses more memory when done manually. Esp with images sent to the Edge.

12. DiS

DiS New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Tony would the nesting be automatic or as the process used in Artpath??

13. Tony Teveris

I'm strictly talking about vinyl ONLY (cut objects) no routing data yet but will go there later. I'm talking about saving material. I need to post a picture. I really can't see nesting Edge jobs. I'm also not sure where to put it, Composer or Plot or both. In Composer it would be more of a select what to nest and do it. Plot would be more built in as "Output by Color" or something like that. Handling multiple jobs together may not be in the early picture but it is a thought.

14. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    the issue i talked about: an example....

i type the word "the" and put an outline on it....the outline and the text are two separate colors, and i want to cut vinyl and not print the design....when i select the text to move it separate from the outline - the outline moves with it.....when i select the outline and move it away from the text - as soon as i move the text again, the outline redraws to the text's new location...so do to a color separation...i have to either copy/paste or hold the ctrl key and pull a copy of the outline, then turn the outline off....

hopefully that made sense....if not, let me know, and i'll send an email with picture explanation...

15. Tony Teveris

fenris242 - makes sense