• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

netbook

wes70

Looking to purchase a netbook for basic surfing, but also may want add corel for some quick layouts when needed. Anyways, just wondering what are some the brands that you use and the pros and cons? Also, in a pinch, could it be used as a temporary back-up for running a plotter?

southshoredecal

i;ve been rocking the toshiba nb205, dropped some more memory in it and dualbooted with ubuntu 9.10 and windows 7. loving it. battery lasts for ever! easily over 5 hours a charge.

a good netbook will not be much less then a full sized laptop and doing any sort of graphic work on such a small screen would be pretty bothersome. as a back up you could get by if your equipment runs on usb and not serial. you should consider a laptop though. also most come with windows 7 starter. its like a retarded version of windows. to give you an idea about it; you can not even change the desktop image.

so over all go with a laptop over a netbook if you going to want it for a back up, if just for portability and simple web browsing then a netbook will suffice.

Lunatic Taskbar

What are the main things you need a netbook for. is it portability, Screen size. Cost?

Most netbooks are underpowered and cramped. It may be worth as suggested above to look at a laptop.

Also on a side note where in NS are you?

wes70

Thanks guys! Yeah, for extra money I might as well go for a laptop.

Ian, I'm located in Smith's Cove, just outside Digby. Where are you?

Wes

ONLINE SIGN GUY

I ended up buying a notebook for 1 reason, I ordered a larger plotter and found out it only runs on 32 bit systems.....so since i just shelled out some bucks on a new plotter I didnt want to invest yet another pc, so I went to NewEgg.com and purchased a notebook to run it, I love it, I also use it for estimates in the field, I run both my Corel X4 and my AI, so we can snap a digital photo and design a concept on the spot, great closing tool!

javila

If you plan on doing any kinda of design work on these netbooks, make sure you look at the screen resolutions. I have an 800x600 netbook, and trying to use gimp is a nightmare because of the real estate.

omgsideburns

i'd shy away from using a small netbook for design. besides an utter lack of power, the screen is probably the deal breaker. even the 10" models.

...as i type this from my maxed out eeepc 9 inch.

signmeup

Hey NS guys! I'm in Berwick near the middle of the Annapolis valley. We'll have to get together someday.

I bought my 16 year old a netbook. She loves it. She uses it for internet stuff and homework.

Wildpony

Another idea for you.
I am on my second convertible tablet PC. It's a gateway with a 14.1" (1280 x 768) screen. the 8 cell battery lasts 4-5 hours of use. I bring it with to right down notes, measurements, sketches. I run my estimating software on it, and it has Photoshop. With my last one is used to run my plotter with Flexi 7.6 and it worked great.
Couldn't imagine not having a tablet pc now. It everything great about a notebook plus having the wacom pad built into the screen.

wes70

Hey NS guys! I'm in Berwick near the middle of the Annapolis valley. We'll have to get together someday.

I bought my 16 year old a netbook. She loves it. She uses it for internet stuff and homework.

I always stop into Berwick when I'm up that way... Bargain Harleys!

Still thinking of getting a netbook. I will be getting a new "production" computer for my cutter and printer sometime this spring, so I can use the existing computer as a back-up. This would eliminate the need for a laptop. Anyways, I'm sure my plans will change, as they always do.

round man

Not that I would advise getting a netbook to do design on but if yo are dead set on one get the asus eeepc 1000,......You cannot multitask on netbooks which means running only one primary program at a time,.....the small processor chips in them just aren't designed to handle multitasking,...that being said, I have an older version of corel (9) on my eeepc 1000h with a gig of ram and it handles presentations in front of clients quite well and is a helluva sales tool,.....it also cn run my vinyl cutter and do just about anything that a normal desktop pc can do,but only with one program at a time,...the thing I really like about my asus is the pc mode button in the icon tray,...with it I can set the cpu to one of three modes and either conserve battery life and or overclock it to run corel more efficiantly,...like the others said it is not the kind of machie you want to design with on a daily basis with only a 10" screen,...and it is definately a netbook as its too small to actually use on your lap

KevSign

My friend got IBM Lenovo S10 or S10s with 2G Memory, working great dual boot with Mac os X10.6 and window 7, he also installed Adobe CS4. When he meeting with customer and open files at customer site with Mac or PC no problem. I am going to get one soon.

Kevin
Additional to our Toys HP Latex Coming Soon - Bough from NuSign Supply