• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Network/speed significantly reduced. Why???

Techman

Basically you cold rebooted which caused your router to reassign your mac address, so it was an IP conflict.

By the way "discharging static" didn't do anything in relation to this problem ;). It's also not static it's charged capacitors that you are discharging when you hit power with an unplugged machine as the machine tries to draw power to start and empties the caps. That's really only necessary before you pop the case open to change out parts as you're preventing those capacitors from discharging at the wrong time while you're working and shorting something.

Perfect explanation. Also very good to know because most of us working on machines do this on auto pilot and never think about it.. So it never comes to the front of our minds.

signswi

Yes this isn't 1997 mobos are constructed well enough that having your case fans on mobo 3pins is advantageous vs dumb 2pin connections straight from the psu but this sure is a derail ;P.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Yes this isn't 1997 mobos are constructed well enough that having your case fans on mobo 3pins is advantageous vs dumb 2pin connections straight from the psu but this sure is a derail ;P.

Okay, fair enough. Just 'cuz I've never seen it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I have seen CPU and chipset fans directly controlled by the MB and these usually take up both (all) available pins for that purpose. Oh, well....