• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

networking problem

we have 5 computers and 1 ethernet connected external harddrive. Everything has been working fine for 3-4 months and about 3 weeks ago 1 of the computers quit connect to the network. It will get on the internet but cannot access any of the other computers or hard drive and none of the other computers can access it.
computer has windows 7. I've had a guy come look at it and said it all looks right but he cannot figure it out..
Has anyone had this kind of problem?

kffernandez

network problems are fairly easy to fix. bec other than a virus, there is only so much that you need to check. but the thing is, you usually need to be there to get a quick solution in.

aside from the typical configuration requirements [which i assume has been checked already by your tech] what are the OS of the 5 computers? have you checked the firewall and network access permissions?

choucove

Usually the only requirements for Windows 7 computers to all communicate to each other is:

1) All computers are within the same subnet on the network. If you've got a standard router connecting all these devices, and all the settings are generally default or "Assigned by DHCP" then this shouldn't be an issue.

2) All computers are in the same workgroup. You can change the workgroup name by right clicking on My Computer and selecting "Properties". You will see the area to change the computer name as well as the workgroup towards the middle of this window.

3) All computers are using passwords on their user accounts. Now, the easiest thing to do is have all 5 computers using the same username and password, but if each computer has their own username and password, you will need to do a little more manual work configuring the network between each system. If this is the case, there are several guides out there on the internet, or I can try and give you more detailed information of how to get everything connecting again.

ova

I think you said they are all connected by cable, not wireless. Could be something as simple as one of the wires is broken at the plug. I ran all of our wiring when we got the new shop. Messed up on one of the plugs where the wire is "pushed" into it. Didn't notice one wire had broken and after a few days had worked itself away from plug.

Found it by running a new wire outside of the wall from the router to the terminal.

Hope this helps.

Dave

mrfern

network check

moz-screenshot-1.png
If it used to work it must have been a change of IP Address or a change in permission to file sharing. Things to check.

1. open the msdos prompt and check the ipaddress. The DHCP address should be all the same for the first series of numbers and the last 3 will be unique to each device.

Steps: Start, Type CMD and hit enter. A Black MSDOS window will open and type ipconfig. This info below will appear. The relevant data here is the ipaddress and subnet mask. As you can see the two data points are
ipaddres = 192.168.2.3
subnet = 255.255.255.0

Now a super quick way to get a new IPaddress from your router would be to release the ipaddress since the DHCP device sets a lease on the address per mac address to the device so you can re-set that by releasing it and getting a new one.

Step 2. In the same window you have open where you did the ipconfig you type the same command but this time you add the /release to it.
(Example=) ipconfig /release

Now this will take the assigned address away from the computer and tell the router to give you a new address when you ask for it.
Step3. Ask for a new address. Same steps as 2 but add /renew
(Example=) ipconfig /renew

You will now have a new ipaddress. If that does not resolve the ip issue or network mask issue then you may want to make sure you can see the network device and the shared setting in the control panel. Here is an example attached screen shots from the Control Panel.

C:\Users\Fernando>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:45e8:28fa:1234:c84:ac80:4a82:9698
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:45e8:28fa:1234:7463:3228:78cb:2b7d
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c84:ac80:4a82:9698%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::222:75ff:fe39:2e98%10

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected