Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking question

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Flame, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Okay, so I'm going to switch some stuff up right now and could really use some advice. I've seen this subject brought up before but I couldn't find it my searches. So here we go....

I just ordered a new work/ design station (upgrading to 4GB of Ram and a 500GB hard drive). Right now, since I'm doing all the designing myself, I just have a work/ design station and a web computer. I want to be able to take my current work station, and use it as a "RIP only" computer. So I use my new computer to design everything, and send the file to my old computer, which RIPS the files and controls the printer and plotter.

How would I accomplish this? Is it as easy as just using a 5 port networking hub like this one? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=329623&Sku=L48-1142 P

I am totally clueless when it comes to networking. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Tags:
  2. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    actually yes, it is just that easy

we run everything through a hub similar to that, one computer would be designated the host, then the other computer and laptop go through and work just fine, i haven't hooked up the external hard drive for backups through it yet but confident it will work fine

3. javila

javila Active Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Yup, just a hub.

Especially since you already have the rips printers/etc setup for your current computer.

4. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Wow.... that almost seems too simple. Can't wait to get the new comp!!! hehehe

I'll be smoking then.:cool:

THANKS GUYS!!!