• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking question

Flame

Okay, so I'm going to switch some stuff up right now and could really use some advice. I've seen this subject brought up before but I couldn't find it my searches. So here we go....

I just ordered a new work/ design station (upgrading to 4GB of Ram and a 500GB hard drive). Right now, since I'm doing all the designing myself, I just have a work/ design station and a web computer. I want to be able to take my current work station, and use it as a "RIP only" computer. So I use my new computer to design everything, and send the file to my old computer, which RIPS the files and controls the printer and plotter.

How would I accomplish this? Is it as easy as just using a 5 port networking hub like this one? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=329623&Sku=L48-1142 P

I am totally clueless when it comes to networking. Anyone care to enlighten me?

wildside

actually yes, it is just that easy

we run everything through a hub similar to that, one computer would be designated the host, then the other computer and laptop go through and work just fine, i haven't hooked up the external hard drive for backups through it yet but confident it will work fine

javila

Yup, just a hub.

Especially since you already have the rips printers/etc setup for your current computer.

Flame

Wow.... that almost seems too simple. Can't wait to get the new comp!!! hehehe

I'll be smoking then.:cool:

THANKS GUYS!!!