• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking

Tovis

I want to set up a static ip network at work since we have multiple routers, and a server.

The problem I'm running into is our sales people use laptops at home. Is there any way I can make a computer default to one IP address for one network and allow a dynamic one for another network?

SignBurst PCs

Yes, there is. The question is why do you want to setup all static IPs? I don't know the specifics of your network, but I would guess that you would only need a few static IPs (only certain devices).

I would be happy to talk to you about your network if you want to buzz me.

njshorts

What kind of router?

Some firmware for the basic SOHO equipment supports static DHCP, but we use a SmoothWall (www.smoothwall.org)... Gives us more control and allows for static DHCP. When a machine requests an IP, DHCP checks the static table, if the MAC address is registered, the machine gets the assigned IP... if not, it pulls from the DHCP pool.

jtrainor56

We only setup printers, scanners and other devices with static ip address, everything else uses dhcp. Only time a pc gets a static ip addess is if the application it is running requires it. Some apps require an assigned address for licensing.

SignBurst PCs

We only setup printers, scanners and other devices with static ip address, everything else uses dhcp. Only time a pc gets a static ip addess is if the application it is running requires it. Some apps require an assigned address for licensing.

+1

This is how I would do it as well. Only a select few devices get static IPs. The others can go with DHCP. Statics for everything is OK, but sounds like a lot of work for nothing.

choucove

It can cause some issues down the road if you completely disable DHCP and try to run everything as static IP. Mainly, the issues I've seen if you have to know exactly which IP addresses are in use and where. Otherwise, if you go to add a device onto the network you have to know what IP address you can use that isn't already taken.

Another way you can set up an assigned IP address is IP address reservations, which was mentioned earlier. This can be done with nearly any router today, you just have to go into your LAN network settings and there should be an option to add a reserved IP address. This will require looking up the MAC address of the desired NIC though.