Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Never did this before..................

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Gino, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Customer came in yesterday and asked if I could use the perf on her back window area, but instead of covering the whole area, could we just cut all the white lettering out of perf.

Didnt have a chance to test or try anything, yet. Would cut out perf, like die-cut vinyl stay down ?? Can you even cut it out on that backer ??

:thankyou: Gino​

Tags:
  2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Realistically it will probably fail even faster than regular perf does due to all the exposed edges. Shape cutting perf (even basic, big shapes) doesn't really go that well either.

Personally, I'd discourage the idea and either just go with regular cut vinyl or full perf.

3. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We did some perf contour cut graphics on a few dealer showroom windows. They were fairly large and held up for the most part - a few months. I agree that it wouldn't be too durable on vehicle glass.

4. jc_0125

jc_0125 Graphic Designer

Oct 5, 2017
    New York
    I contour cut perf into a circle for a customer's back window on a car a few years back. Went well overall. Haven't heard anything since so I presume its still holding up well

5. ewded

ewded Member

Aug 28, 2017
    UK
    Why not print black dots on the vinyl? Same look but will last longer. If the client wants window perf just use laminate (optically clear)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

I think they wand the visibility more than the look. Why would you print black dots on regular film just for the look? :confused::confused::confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  7. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    We've done it a couple times, had best success with cut contouring the perf, then laminating and cutting the lam offset from the perf .25" to act as your edge sealer.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  8. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Gino, you print white right? I would print a square perf design on clear, black and then white & then laminate & cut.

9. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

I would recommend doing the whole window.
    Print the black background and leave white letters.
    Might even look cool if you can get close to the vehicle color instead of black.
    Laminate with optically clear vinyl and seal the edges with strips of clear as well (if possible).

10. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    I agree that all the edges would likely cause it to fail early.
    If I HAD to do it, I would print/cut/apply the perf, and then cut the laminate (seperately) with a 3/16" +/- outline and apply over the letters to essentially seal them in. Not unlike using the 1/2" wide 3M edge seal tape laminate stuff along the edge of a normal perf job.

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Use some high dollar 3m dual color perf and it will be fine. Biggest issue is having to go back and hand cut each edge that the knife skid over. Use a chunky/straight line font like varsity to minimize frustrations.
    Or I suppose laminate a section of perf to run through the plotter. Never though of that one myself.

12. JetPress

JetPress Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Texas
    We've contour cut on window perf couple times for our front door and never had an issue with it. It was on the door for years and was only replaced because we updated our information.

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I should've mentioned the lettering is somewhat small and wispy.

And no, I don't print white.​

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh, ya I'd kindly decline. Any particular reason they're after this? Obviously they imagine the lettering is going to obstruct view, but if it's thin enough then there isn't much obstruction going on?

15. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Around here, anything on a rear window is supposed to be perf or nothing at all. It's the law. Even side rear windows are subject to that. It was also too much money to do a complete cover. So, I told her I'd put it on, but if she gets stopped, the invoice says we made the decals, but she put them on.

16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Curious, is that state law or something more local?

17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    It supposed to be state-wide, but not a lotta places enforce it. It was a big deal years ago, when cops were coming up on vehicles they pulled over for whatever and the windows were clogged up with bullsh!t. Cops couldn't see in and were blasted away when coming up to the driver's window. However, they made it sound like when someone is backing up, if a kid on a tricycle or in a baby carriage walking by, regular vinyl might just block your vision at the wrong moment causing a death or near death experience.