• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New 1204, New Business! Set-Up Questions!

Biker Scout

Greetings everyone... I took the plunge quit my job and started a new Design Studio / Sign Shop.

I've got a VJ-1204 and a 4x8 CNC Router to start. I'm using an Intel iMac (24") with Parallels running Windows for Production Manager (Flexi RIP) to print. Works great! I use a Mac primarily because we are a Design Studio and I hate using sign programs. They are weak in my opinion. I can look at a design for a sign or logo and tell if the designer used a PC or not. (I prefer the Adobe products, as I've been using them since '93 professionally... well Aldus for Page Maker back then) Anyway, not important... whatever allows you to be productive.

My question is about the VJ-1204 and wanting to get it to print edge to edge. For instance, if a client wants a 30" wide fabric banner for a trade show... I don't want to produce a product that only printed close to the edge. Or what about wall mural panels where there needs to be slight overlap. Obviously, the print needs to go to the edge. I can't see back trimming over the length to being very productive, or very accurate for that matter. What if I tried using PhotoTex, and couldn't very well trim the edges without it fraying? I need the printer to print to the edge.

I saw the post where someone mentioned "tricking" the printer by removing something... please explain that a little more in detail. I'm new to the machine, but not to signs and wide format stuff. Warranty issues aside please.

I appreciate any feedback. I finally got internet access like yesterday, after a 2 month lapse in service, so I'll be checking this thread with bated breath!

Check out my lame-o website I threw together. When I get a little more time I'll polish it up.

MrBillsWorkshop.com

B Snyder

You're going to have to design with a bleed and trim after printing. As for the fabric banner in question, I suppose if you're getting frayed edges you'll need to hem them.

Flame

Sorry, just trim it. Printing to the edge will cause nightmares. Be a man and get the razor blade out.

lol. Oh, and welcome!!!

Bogie

If you're printing on fabric, and it is happy with your inks (major dealie...), spray-stickie it to a sheet of backing paper, and print on it with the print head in high position. Use the spray stuff that the t-shirt screeners use.

B Snyder

Great idea Bogie and its something I'd definately keep in the back of my mind but it definately won't be "very productive."

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Hot knife the edges for fabric. In order the print edge to edge you can use some white duct tape and place a piece next to the edge of the media. It is only somewhat effective because you will get ink puddling on the media edges.