• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New B

Motif-ated

Hi all !! My name is David. I am 55 and have been in business for myself for most of my life. I have always liked graphic arts n stuff. I want to get in the sign business, but sorta specialized. I am trying to gauge what the initial investment will be, and want to get the right equipment to start. Having been in the retail audio business for years I know the importance of "Value". Its almost never comes as the cheapest price. I want the best value, near the point of diminishing returns. At any rate I decided to do the logical thing and that is speak to experts and the experienced, I want to specialize in indoor/outdoor signs adhered to thin Styrofoam sheets, I believe this would be light, rigid, and easy to hang .I need a large format vinyl printer. I`m thinking of 54* width. 4 to 6 color to print on an adhesive backed vinyl. The signs would mostly be indoors but may find themselves in a window for outside foot traffic. I will start small in my garage and build a business. What printer and vinyl media do you folks recommend ? I may branch out to banners at some point but Im kinda old and don`t learn , or heal up like I used to. Is vinyl the best media for this application or is there a better alternative ? I know I can create the demand, I just want to provide a good solution to my clients. The sizes would range from small indoor signs for merchandising to larger art size signs. Lets say 9ft x 8ft max, with the vast majority being 4' x 5' or less. Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

iprint

Welcome from Phoenix. I hope that your garage is air conditioned. Some of the equipment that you would need would not like triple digit non-climate controlled garages in Phoenix. I don't have any printer recommendations for you, but can tell you that sub-contracting your printing to someone already set up for printing would be beneficial to make sure that you have enough business to warrant purchasing your own equipment. Plus it would free up your time so that you could concentrate on selling & designing. There are many wholesale printers around that can do the printing for you. I am not sure if there are any wholesale merchant members on here in Phoenix, but it would be worth checking into.

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod where I did a similar thing starting 10 years ago. Still don't own a modern printer as jobbing it out to high quality merchant members here works just fine. You will need some pretty heavy volume to approach the savings you may get from your own machine vs. what they charge per square foot with great turnaround times.