• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Business Owner

MariaMartini

I'm not a dumb@$$...

Thanks for the nice comments.. and the critical ones... I guess...

I guess I should have explained myself better. I've already done a lot of what I needed to do as far as getting set up, pretty much all I need now is a machine and vinyl. I know that's pretty much the most important part (was looking into renting, but that didn't work out).

I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and I am a hard worker. I have others helping me in this endeavor and I do hope I can actually make money. I really am not trying to score big bucks right now, I just want to be able to stay home with my son. My husband will provide the bulk of the income, but I hope I can at least pull in some grocery money.

I do realize K*inkos put a lot into it that I don't really see. I have a lot of issues with that company and I supposed my bitterness kind of showed through. I do praise them for seeing my ability and pulling out of retail copying and into signs early on, because without what I learned there, I doubt I would have the confidence to go out on my own doing something I have never done before.

But... compared to other signs shops K*nkos charges considerably more and pays considerably less. I really don't think I can get away with charging their prices, but I certainly won't give my stuff away.

Well, my baby calls, so I think I will go play with him rather than argue with anyone, that's not my style.

Thanks for the input I just didn't appreciate some of the negativity.

iSign

nobody called you a dumbass, and nobody gave you any negativity... what you got, and needed (even though you don't seem to get it yet) is a healthy dose of REALITY! If the reality of what you have chosen to bite off for yourself seems negative to you, then that is a reality you SHOULD be taking a long hard look at.

I think the problem with your first post was a lot more than bitterness at Kinkos showing through... I think it is a fundamental flaw in perception that is seen very very often around here. When someone says they made a lot of money for an employer... and now they want to get started doing it for themselves... but they come here for help figuring out how to do that... they should realize that a lot of the folks reading your rant ARE employers & may have had employees suffering from that same fundamental flaw in perceptions (and some may have even been a dumbass)

When you're done playing with your baby & want to talk about working again, I suggest you recognize the difference between arguing with people & being exposed to experienced opinions from folks with years of doing exactly what you wish you were doing.

By the way... the reason several experienced sign shop owners have told you that you can AND SHOULD sell signs for as much or more than kinkos does...

...is because you can AND SHOULD sell signs for as much or more than kinkos does!!

D

DARLAK

hello from niagara falls

Thanks for the input I just didn't appreciate some of the negativity.

stay home and play with the kid...

your not ready....

MariaMartini

Thanks

hello from niagara falls

stay home and play with the kid...

your not ready....

I am well aware I need to be prepared for this kind of thing with clients, and I have experienced it obviously when I worked at Kinkos, and can handle it, but why much I experience it in a "WELCOME New Member's" thread?

I give up...

high impact

Grow some thicker skin, pay attention and hang out a while... seriously, you'll learn a lot!

Ever get a hazing or initiation when you joined a club or started a new job?

iSign

when my cats plays with mice... it's always nice to see how much fun he is having... really getting riled up, running and jumping... pretty much grinning from ear to ear... if cats grin...

...but it's always a bummer when the mouse gives up too soon... kind of a downer after all that fun :Oops:

Ken

Brite lites...thats a great attitude right there(in your forum name..care to share your real first name?...I'm one of those that dislikes calling someone jfb9234...just your first name)....welcome to S101...
I really didn't read most of these posts as negative..other than the "playing with your baby"..that was uncalled for.
I truely believe the other comments were real experience coming at you. You should accept that.
You CAN go a LONG way with a 24 inch plotter. Make sure you follow thru with a quoted job. Once you give a quote to install this or that, Stick to your price and timeline. THIS will make you successful.
The follow-thru...is imperative. wether you low-ball or not...hopefully NOT.
Cheers!
Ken
OH yeah...get a deposit...

MariaMartini

Brite lites...thats a great attitude right there(in your forum name..care to share your real first name?...I'm one of those that dislikes calling someone jfb9234...just your first name)....welcome to S101...
I really didn't read most of these posts as negative..other than the "playing with your baby"..that was uncalled for.
I truely believe the other comments were real experience coming at you. You should accept that.
You CAN go a LONG way with a 24 inch plotter. Make sure you follow thru with a quoted job. Once you give a quote to install this or that, Stick to your price and timeline. THIS will make you successful.
The follow-thru...is imperative. wether you low-ball or not...hopefully NOT.
Cheers!
Ken

Thanks for the response Ken, My name is Marie. Yeah, I guess I take things to heart too much, and should have taken the advice better, I just felt like I said "Hi, I'm new to the business" and everyone said "Get out, you can't handle it." I guess I like that their "looking out for me" but I don't really see it that way. I mean seriously, nobody here knows me. I suppose I could have done a better job introducing myself, but I do think I have a handle on what I am doing... yes I have A LOT to learn.. but I am ready... that's why I'm here right?

Ken, I don't know why I am explaining this all to you, as I didn't feel your post was negative at all.. uplifting actually (except for you not agreeing that the previous replies were negative :p ). But, your right, they weren't, I was just expecting more of a "Hi from _____. Goodluck with your business. A good cutter is ____." I just need to forget about my postpartum emotions and just remember we are all faceless people on the other side of a computer screen, you can say anything.. you know it's just for fun...

I'm rambling hardcore... so back to my original post... I'm not going to get a Gerber Envision unless someone has one for less than $2000. I was looking at a Graphtec 24" CE5000-60 for $1449 from specialty-graphics.com. Is that a good price? Has anyone ordered from that company before?

Marie

Last edited:

MariaMartini

I do realize many of you did post exactly what I was expecting - "welcome from ____" - and I appreciate that... sorry I guess I also have a tendency to focus on the negative.

R08

Actually Brite..
This isn't just fun. It's invaluable help. I wish I had it 25 years ago when I started . The best help comes from the posts that hurt the most, but your getting a lot of info packed into short time. It will take a while to digest it, but if you make it .. and succeed, you will see that what they told you was right. It's not personal... it's just the way of the jungle.

Oh and by the way you have one advantage ... you're not a dumb@ss cause a lot of us were dumbasses when we started. I know I was.

Now I'm just a smartass.

Good luck.

Ken

Yeah Marie...it's easy to see the negative stuff...but if you re-visit the posts here..you have some really experienced people here giving some advice. So , please..dont discount that. I have also taken some pretty hard bashing here..but I keep coming back...I think the champion of that is Capital Signs..WOW...can't believe how much shit he took from the others here...but it was REAL feedback..not just trashing him. And he has pulled his stuff together..similar to Flame..he was all punked out to start..but now is really contributing to these threads.
That is what is so great about S101...We now have over 10K members...pick the good comments..forget the trash.
But really...you'll find that a big percentage of these comments are real.
I'm smilin' at ya...
Ken
And thank you Marie...I like that so much better than some psuedo name on the net...

iSign

I have an envision that I bought new for $9000. It runs like a tank, 8 years later... but still, I ONLY use it for cutting my Edge jobs.

I bought a 24" Graphtec CE1000-60about 10 years ago, and it has been ALL I've needed for everything except my Edge jobs... until I got into large format printing, at which time I bought a Mimaki 63" cutter, but still only use that for large format work.

I think the Graphtec is not only suitable for you, it's is better for you, unless you have an Edge... because when I started, I only had an old 15" Roland cutter, & I found the need for cutting 24" stuff to be pretty much a regular thing. By Having the 24" cutter, I saved in material waste, and time to consider that purchase to have paid for itself quite fast.

(despite my typical acidic responses, I'm glad you didn't "give up" here... oh yeah... welcome from Maui!)

WRAPS

it is a tough crowd at first, but really most give sincere advice.when you read posts just be openminded,theres alot to learn in this forum.good luck

:Welcome:from hollywood ,florida

D

DARLAK

well, you can get up when your kicked, you might make it.....

remember your entering a jungle of experience, when posting, your gonna get all kinds of answers...

go check out others first posts, read them, see who got blasted and who didn't. find out why, you'll be better at communicating here and get better responces.

there are plenty of helpful people here just as there are those who will pile on you if there is a hint of stink in your words - which i think you found out....

R08

.......there are plenty of helpful people here just as there are those who will pile on you if there is a hint of stink in your words - which i think you found out....

Just like one week they're complaining about your avatar and another week they're upset cause ya changed it.

Just makes you wanna light yourself on fire, don't it?
:rolleyes:

Capital Signs

Marie,

You sound so much like me. We get emotional over things that are considered "constructive criticism" You should check out some of my past posts and see how much I got eaten ALIVE!

I've learned that there are so many professionals here with YEARS of experience beyond mine, and maybe you may have years of experience, but not years of experience in OWNING your own store or shop.

Die to yourself, and listen to what people have to say here. Dont sit there and say, they are all trying to attack me, and wo me, no one likes me...

THATS NOT THE CASE.

I felt that way too when I first came, but it's all coming from experience professionals, who want you to learn from their expereiences as well.

The way this forum works is like this... One is expeceted to do his or her own research, and when you need some more help yet, then you make a post, and expect a reply, but after stating the facts in your first post about the research that you did and what you found, and maybe what you still need help with.

I would suggest using the search button for a lot of common things as well, it's very useful, and helps avoid overposting of the same subject.

Good luck marie with your endeveur in the sign business, and I KNOW you will make it. You need to start speaking it now, and thinking positively, because truly, if you believe in yourself, you will invest in your time.

Weather it be education, to your equipment. Anything you need, feel free to email me or pm me.

Good luck, and keep your head up! Have a great weekend!

I

ilevelsign

Hey Marie.Good luck to you.Leaving Kink-hosepipe was a great move cos they knock out absolute crap when it comes to signage and you know you are better than that by leaving them.Look around and be prudent, this is not the only sign message board there are others out there too.Some people will blast you with ridicule and utter nonsense posts(They are so brave behind the screen) And others will be very valuable and have a wealth of info to share.You be the boss and you decide what comments are benificial to you and your new business venture.Good luck and if you need any unbiased advise PM me or just make a post and i will gladly help you thru this Alphabet city called SIGNS.
Peace
Frankie.