• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New cjv30-60

Brilliant

Hello everyone and Happy 2014!

I just got my new CJV30-60 and I love it.

I do need to tweak it a bit though to get the best out of it.

The print quality is acceptable, but not as good as I it can be. For example my light color solid fills are printed with a bit of a noise.

Firstly, I tried different temperatures, but I'm not too sure how to go with temperature, as it's necessary for my work to print and cut immediately my vinyls. It's really important for me to get the ink dried as soon as possible but to not cause bad quality because of the heater settings. Does anyone know what the most suitable heater settings would be for my case?

I also made sure to get the ICC profile of the exact material I'm using, but that didn't seem to change my print quality at all.

Now, while we're at it.. I have a couple more questions... mainly about cut. I now print & cut both with only 2 pinch rollers. I have the Print ones at H_H and Cut at M_M. I noticed that if I print with even HLH there will still be a light embossing cause by the medium pinch roller, so I disabled it as an only means to avoid that problem. While it cuts though, it will sometimes cut off track, though as if the material goes a bit off... The weird thing it is that it then goes back on track and finishes the rest of the cut properly. Now, that was the case, until I cut the same piece on a new session, rotated. It went off again at the exact same spot, did the exact same path. I check my files at wireframe... nothing there. A bit of a mystery to me... anyone knows why it does that?

Lastly, I noticed that the bar where my print head moves on is too oily. Does this model re-oil the bar on its own? Yesterday there was even a drop of oil on my vinyl!! Can I re-adjust that somewhere?

Asking a lot, but any help would be highly appreciated!

Vinylman

Contact the Supplier

Brilliant:

Please understand I am NOT trying to be a smart a$$ here.

Your supplier of the printer is the FIRST place to contact regarding these operational issues. It is what you paid for when purchasing the machine. Make full use of their experience and expertize. If you have exhausted ALL the knowledge base at your suppliers end, THEN you are more than welcome to ask someone here on signs 101. Many times we as end users, can add additional information over and above the generic answers you may get from the supplier.
BUT, regular service questions like you have posted here are generally answered in your operations manuals, or by direct correspondence with your supplier.

Brilliant

Believe me I completely understand and agree with this! And of course I appreciate your time on this topic! It's just that there is literally only 1 mimaki tech in my country. This is a fact, all mimaki owners here know it and hate it. The guy is a great guy, but he's not a really a mimaki tech. He's a general tech, knows some of all, from CNC routers, laser to plotters. He's doing he's best, but he's not the sort of know-it-all mimaki tech you would expect.

I did go through the whole operation manual. I know how to do things on the machine, but I don't know what sort of settings are best for my case. For example it gives a good explanation of what the 3 heater settings are for, but wont give you any suggestions.

I would also like to add a question to the above... Does anyone know if I can get the printer to use less ink when printing, so that the prints dry faster, but not show a difference in quality?

Thanks again

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't really have a problem with someone asking basic questions, not at s101, but it would certainly seem that to buy this thing, someone had to know how to demonstrate it for you. Perhaps if the other guy is too busy, you might have someone where you bought it come out and show you things..... hands on.

You are asking questions that are a little tricky to answer. You should be shown, not explained. First of all, you probably won't know what fundamental elements are needed to get things rolling. Next, back & forth like this will take what in real time could only take minutes to show you.

Ask away, but be careful what you ask, because the answers will probably overwhelm you at this point.

Vinylman

Believe me I completely understand and agree with this! And of course I appreciate your time on this topic! It's just that there is literally only 1 mimaki tech in my country. This is a fact, all mimaki owners here know it and hate it. The guy is a great guy, but he's not a really a mimaki tech. He's a general tech, knows some of all, from CNC routers, laser to plotters. He's doing he's best, but he's not the sort of know-it-all mimaki tech you would expect.

OK: Thanks for the explanation!

I did go through the whole operation manual. I know how to do things on the machine, but I don't know what sort of settings are best for my case. For example it gives a good explanation of what the 3 heater settings are for, but wont give you any suggestions.

I have always just used the factory presets. Unless there are specific need to alter them for a special product.

I would also like to add a question to the above... Does anyone know if I can get the printer to use less ink when printing, so that the prints dry faster, but not show a difference in quality?

This is where things can get VERY interesting. With this question, you are going to get into the issues of properly profiling specific substrates. Which "generally" involve having additional equipment to create custom ICC profiles. I am sure there are others here who can be of greater help on this particular issue. But a word of caution! As Gino mentioned above, "You are asking questions that are a little tricky to answer. You should be shown, not explained. First of all, you probably won't know what fundamental elements are needed to get things rolling. Next, back & forth like this will take what in real time could only take minutes to show you.

Ask away, but be careful what you ask, because the answers will probably overwhelm you at this point."

Thanks again

I hope this is of help. BTW, Welcome to Signs 101:thumb:

Brilliant

Thanks for the advise... I don't mind trying things till I figure it out myself. Just thought maybe I could save some time and money by coming here... you never know :)

Laz, yes Rasterlink 5 Pro. I use SS21 solvent ink. I had read that eco solvent ink takes more time to dry than solvent, which is frankly the only reason I went with solvent. As stated before, it's one of the most important issues I have.

Laz0924

Cjv 30

Brilliant, I have the cjv30-130 which is the same printer only 54" I am running eco solvent ES3, my heaters are set at PRE 40, print 33 and post 40 C.
Check the printer manual it has placement & quantity of the pinch rollers depending on the size of media being used, I use high on ends and low in between so far no cutting problems, the tech that set it up I think favors Roland but said the Mamaki cutter was superior.
Did you try the Mimaki Europe website for support?
Joe