• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New computer...finally!

To start off, my business partner and I started up our sign business about a year and a half ago. He was a plasterer with a couple years of screen printing experience and I was tattoo artist/business owner of 13 years with about a year or more of sign making experience. I started off with a stock Asus laptop with an i5 processor and a mere 4 gb of RAM. When we started our shop we were on a tight budget and we've been upgrading our equipment as we've come along. However, the one thing that stayed the same, simply because we were managing to get by, was the computer. We figured if it wasn't broke, don't fix it. However, when I jumped into designing in vector a year and a half ago I learned Corel Draw X5 and dealt with lagging functions along many other obstacles that were obviously hindered by computer's performance...or lack of. When working in Photoshop, I would constantly run into insufficient RAM errors and couldn't save large jpeg images to save my life. So finally after working on this POS laptop for the last 2.5 years, we got a new one! I went to the local custom computer shop (Computer Deli) and this is what we ordered.

I got an Intek GX700 case and we loaded it with two large Antec fans, three small Corsair fans, and a 750W Corsair modular power supply. Inside we have an Intel Core i7 3770K processor 3.5 Mhz with 8 MB cache on an Asus P8Z77-V motherboard with a built in wireless reciever. We have all of our software installed on a Samsung 120 GB solid state drive, and data is stored on a Western Digital 7200rpm 1000 GB internal drive. We have a Toshiba 1000 GB external drive for scheduled automatic backup. We also had an LG DVD burner installed. It has a full 32 MB of RAM and a Nvidia GForce GTX 650 graphic card. It's got a Logitech K400r Wireless Touch Keyboard/Pad that I already don't really like, but it's just a keyboard. I'm also running my Microsoft Arc Touch wireless mouse that I've had for a while now. The system is operating on the latest version of Windows 7 Professional. All that is connected to a Samsung S24C200BL 23.6 inch LED monitor.

So far I'm very happy with the purchase. This thing runs so much faster than what I am used to. I can't wait to see how it performs with our software. Installing programs to the solid state drive is incredibly fast and so far everything works flawlessly. Hopefully this will help increase my productivity drastically but I guess that goes without saying.

darby07

oh I know the feeling! especially when trying to import large art files in coral. congrats on the new purchase!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
:thumb: Rock on! Yeah laptops (for the most part) just cannot touch their desktop counterparts in overall performance.

p3

32MB of RAM? Um...I don't want to burst your bubble, but I haven't had anything that low since 93'.

Baz

That sounds about right ... I am shopping for parts to build myself a new pc for home. Thats close to what i am looking to build ... Maybe half the ram but the 4770 series I7 processor.

I was contemplating buying Window8 as an OS but i keep reading how it is not well liked and people seem to prefer Windows7.

Nice PC you got yourself! :thumb:

choucove

That sounds about right ... I am shopping for parts to build myself a new pc for home. Thats close to what i am looking to build ... Maybe half the ram but the 4770 series I7 processor.

I was contemplating buying Window8 as an OS but i keep reading how it is not well liked and people seem to prefer Windows7.

Nice PC you got yourself! :thumb:

Just be careful with temperatures if you choose to go with the new Haswell processors. We have built a few systems now with Haswell and in every case it ran noticeably warmer (approximately 10 degrees Celsius more) than the equivalent Ivy Bridge platform. I always recommend using an after-market CPU cooler for helping to keep your system running efficiently, cool, and quiet, but especially in Haswell's case it runs pretty hot and you really should invest the slight additional cost in getting a nice after-market fan like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

Baz

Just be careful with temperatures if you choose to go with the new Haswell processors. We have built a few systems now with Haswell and in every case it ran noticeably warmer (approximately 10 degrees Celsius more) than the equivalent Ivy Bridge platform. I always recommend using an after-market CPU cooler for helping to keep your system running efficiently, cool, and quiet, but especially in Haswell's case it runs pretty hot and you really should invest the slight additional cost in getting a nice after-market fan like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.

Thanks for the tip :thumb: That might influence my purchase.