• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New computer

fisheye48

Thinking of building a new computer from scratch off newegg.com just for wraps and other vinyl related design and print...any suggestions or personal experience of what you like or use to make it runs fast and hassle free.

trakers

Just built a new box for our dedicated RIP with parts from NE. It is one fast SOB. Chewed through a 2Gb EPS the other day in just a couple minutes.

> Gigabyte or Asus MB (I prefer to buy one that has some experience with it rather than a bleeding edge model since fast if good, but STABLE is imperative for a business machine.)

> AMD processor (as fast as your budget will allow)

> 4Gb of RAM

>Win XP 32 bit (I would NOT buy Win XP now though. Win 7 is out in 10 days). NewEgg already has it listed for $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752

We have 3 copies we preordered from Amazon that should ship soon and will upgrade our RIP when it arrives.

>SATA II SSD for your main drive

>Large Seagate drive(s) for data

Dice

If you can afford it, get an SSD harddrive they are blazing. Also go for one of the new i5's or i7's as they are about twice as fast as the Core 2's

Make sure what ever your buying has a good rep on newegg.

trakers

+1 on checking the reviews of a product. That is why I like products that have a little age on them as others have suffered for you and help you weed out the duds. And read them, looking for repeat issues. A lot of times a one star is by some idiot that doesn't know squat bitching about an otherwise great item.

Ford vs Chevy on the CPU but I support AMD for 2 reasons.

Firstly they used to be much less expensive for like performance, although it has evened out a bit lately.

and secondly, if we lose them we are all f***ed. Intel will *rape* us on pricing if they become the sole source for CPU's.

If you can afford it, get an SSD harddrive they are blazing. Also go for one of the new i5's or i7's as they are about twice as fast as the Core 2's

Make sure what ever your buying has a good rep on newegg.

Matt-Tastic

make sure, whatever you do, get a 32-bit OS. if you are going to keep the machine for a while, get a 64-bit CPU, Mobo, etc, but there are currently little to no drivers (esp USB) for 64-bit architecture. Graphtec is the only one I know who has made 64-bit drivers.

also, make sure your new computer is compliant with all your current hardware. If you have an EDGE, and you get mobo with a Parallel port, its probably not ECP, and so it won't work. Things like this will make your computer purchase much happier.

i heart newegg. keep supporting them so they keep selling everything i want :)

trakers

NewEgg has an upcoming IPO. I want in bad, but their margins are RAZOR thin at 1.4%. They sold $2,100,000,000 (That BILLION folks) worth of merchandise in 2008. That is unreal.

The biggest issue with them is that they give us all at once: Great prices, a good website, and excellent customer service when needed. I'm afraid we will lose one or all when they go public and have investors breathing down their necks.