• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New couple in the business from TX

Spencer7

Hi all,
Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions here! My boyfriend and I need advice for an entry level adhesive decal cutter (plotter). I have read good things about the GCC Expert 24 for an entry level cutter. Thoughts? Suggestions? Our first production will be vinyl decals for the back window of vehicles.

Also, for those of you who have experience with adhesive decals..what type of vinyl would you suggest?

Thank you all so much for your contribution.

Alisha and Travis

JgS

Orical is my go to. As for the cutter spring for one that is over 48" if you can afford it. You'll be glad you did when you start branching out.

Mosh

Cri-cut are the best "sticker cutter" on the market... Just go into any sign shop and they will be glad to sell you a couple feet on any color film you want. LET ME GUESS your boyfriend races cars?

rjssigns

Unless you have a ready made market for cut vinyl you'd be better off getting a print/cut set-up. We had two choices seven years ago. Buy a printer or get run out of business by the people that had one.

And if it is the stock car market know this. Even in the backwoods of WI you cannot find a single stock car without at least a partial wrap. Absolute fact.

Anyway welcome aboard and good luck.

Spencer7

Reply all - edited information regarding our intentions

Thank you all for the welcoming! I had no idea about the sign culture until this forum!

My boyfriend does not race cars and we will not be doing wraps. Think more along the lines of Salt Life type decals and the Browning Buck decal. No more than 36" wide at this point. We will also be doing T shirts and do not want to use that crap that is heat pressed.

With that being said...what is the advice now? :) There are so many options in this industry and I have a budget of about $500 for my first machine ( I KNOW that I should spring for a more expensive machine and I will when I make my return on the first investment)

Thank you in advance!!!

MrSalumi

Do you dis agree?

No I think Mosh is being facetious. Search his responses to "sticker" posts. I understand why he is skeptical but I don't understand why he is cynical. I was hesitant to even respond to this post but I think that you deserve a honest response.

2B

Thank you all for the welcoming! I had no idea about the sign culture until this forum!

My boyfriend does not race cars and we will not be doing wraps. Think more along the lines of Salt Life type decals and the Browning Buck decal. No more than 36" wide at this point. We will also be doing T shirts and do not want to use that crap that is heat pressed.

With that being said...what is the advice now? :) There are so many options in this industry and I have a budget of about $500 for my first machine ( I KNOW that I should spring for a more expensive machine and I will when I make my return on the first investment)

Thank you in advance!!!

be careful, that is trademarked / registered design and they do no look highly on it being copied.
another option is look at the members here (Merchant members) and see if they do plotter vinyl, that way you can focus your budget on advertising, doing designs, sales and let someone else worry about the production

if you are truly going to get a machine then look on CL, Ebay, or here there are constantly used machines being sold.

How are you going to do shirt without a heat press? are you screen printing?

JgS

Honestly for $500 you won't get much. Even a good used cutter will run you close to a grand without the cutting software. But if your dead set on that budget I would call up Signwarehouse and ask about their R series.

And seriously, how do you plan on making shirts without a heap press?

WildWestDesigns

We will also be doing T shirts and do not want to use that crap that is heat pressed.

I don't know if this means you don't have a heat press or you just don't want to do the "crap" that is heat pressed, but a heat press is perhaps one of the most versatile pieces of equipment there is in the shop. At least in mine.

Although, I must agree that your typical print/cut transfers are not the best. I do like cut vinyl on shirts and I'm a huge fan of sublimation on shirts. Both of which are heat pressed. But I also use it for patches and applique (both in application on the substrate, as well as, in their production).

rjssigns

Thank you in advance!!!

"No heat press "crap". Interesting. Pretty bold statement for knowing nothing about the industry. Maybe I'm doing something wrong since the last set of "heat press crap" shirts I finished sold for nearly $75 each.

I find it amusing how folks that come here looking for knowledge forget to be humble while simultaneously sticking their foot in their mouth.

BTW good luck with that Browning decal....:Big Laugh