• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NEW Equipment/Upgrades Advice

farmfreshads

Hey Guys, I've just been asked by my boss to give him a list of some equipment/upgrades that we could buy for our small sign shop. We have an Odyssey Plotter & HP Wide Format Printer that I have been using for over 10 years. I have to outsource a number of the things I do...digital banners, screen printing, etc. Do you guys have any advice on some good things to add to my list? The items need to be under 10,000 total so a new wide format printer (that I really would like) is totally out of the question. Should I get into screen printing, is it that expensive? Any other equipment, programs that you think would benefit me?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Just to give you an idea about what I have already here's a list. Thanks again for your advice.

Odyssey Plotter
HP 2500 CP
CorelDraw X4
Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Gerber Omega Software

rjssigns

Sometimes outsourcing is the best way. We have all the wide format equipment, but find we are outsourcing more and more. We use our equipment for the fast turn jobs not for volume orders.
Since I don't have to babysit the printer or do any finish work I can be out locking in the next client while my sub does the "dirty" work.

Ain't a bad way to go.

SublimeGraphics

Don't get into screen printing. I did it for 15 years and unless you are going to run massive quantities every single week, its just not worth the time or the smell for that matter. We replaced our screen printing equipment with a flatbed and we out source the 200 + piece runs. Since your budget doesn't allow a flatbed purchase, i would recommend just keep out sourcing.

rcook99

Totally agree with Pat on the QB pie sizes and markup. Also as far as wide format printers why not consider a used printer from a dealer. I bought mine from Graphic Resource Systems in NJ and have been extremely happy with the print and the outstanding support.

MikePro

-bigger and better computer
-new monitors, dual/triple setups if possible
-upgraded versions of software

NEW PRINTER? heck yeah.
or maybe a 2nd generation model, but still better than a 10yr-old.

(owait, that's MY shopping list!)