• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Family Business

jimmiesmart

I am in the process of purchasing a sign shop from a friend who has 15 years experience in the trade. He is staying on to do sales and design but wants to limit his time due to his pursuit of a music business. We are taking over production. We have an xc-540 printer and 2 36" plotters. He currently has a good relationship with another sign shop that he subs lamination out to which makes me nervous. Another concern we have is cutting, he is very good at freehand cutting shapes and even straight lines. We need more in the way of cutters and straight edges I think. We have been interning and trying to learn as much as possible for a while now. I have also been patrolling this site as a guest and recently as a member. What advice would you veterans have for me?

MGraphics

Welcome!!! I would defiantly get soem straight edges.... and look into a cutter as well... depending on what kind of substrates you cut will depend on the kind of cutter you need... I run a FB so I cut alot of rigid substrates so I have a foster KeenCut Evolution 104".. It is a beast but i can cut up a 4' x 8' sheet any way i want... and cut subtrates up to 13mm thick. If you dont like subing out you lamination try looking into a used but in good condition laminator...I am not a big fan of subing stuff out just casue you lose control a bit.... any who good luck!!!!

:Canada 2:

jimmiesmart

I don't mind subbing the work, just not to a local competitor. I would really like to find a wholesaler in my area that does good work.

MGraphics

I dotn know how big Bend is or if it is close to a major metro area that would house a wholesaler but yeah that is an option.... but if you are going to a wholesaler it would prob be cheaper to have them print and lam rather than send your material there and get them to lam... that is probably why the previous owner just used a local guy.... my $0.02

SD&F

Take time now to check the books(tax returns) and see customer base. Then make your decision. GOOD LUCK

jimmiesmart

Just P&Ls so far. Pretty low overhead and low risk. I am going to get to see the details of the books when I make my deposit (next week). I have a very good job that pays the bills, my wife and three boys (2 teens) will be doing most of the work, I will be keeping the books. We are not looking for much income, just experience running a business and teaching the kids the merits of work.

Thanks for the input.

idsignsil

Welcome from IL. We also have a XC-540 and we use a Royal Sovereign laminator. If we had the shop space I would have another printer so that I could print and cut at the same time.

shoot me a pm. Bend used to be part of my sales territory when I sold sign supplies,equipment etc.,in oregon. I know Bend well & your market.

miss the scones @ the pine tavern before a nice prime rib dinner on a friday night.