• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Ford Aluminum Trucks - No Magnets - Options?????

Grafix

I use Neschen EasyDot for local theatre groups who advertise their shows on their cars for 6-8 weeks. Easy for them to apply and removable

2B

We have a large group of our clients using it now. The thing you'll find is your clients can self install easier due to the dot pattern and no tools required. The other great benefit is the reuse ability and adhesive can be cleaned. We use warm water wash it off with light soap if needed.

have you had any clients use it on moving vehicles?
how well does it conform to surfaces? textured tables what about the easy clean / not stick paint now used on wall?
What about when not in use? just stick to another surface for storage?

the issue we get with magnets, besides more and more vehicles use less steel, is the heat and when water gets between the magnet and the surface it will boil the paint off, any concerns with this an heat?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I think the only way is to stick a metall plate on the inside of the vehichle and test if the magnet is strong enough to hold on to that, otherwise there is no good solution,
All other materials will have problems with dirt.
That's just it...magnetic sheet material is not strong enough to attach through the aluminum to the steel.
We simply tell people apply vinyl lettering or nothing.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You guys know about my iDot right?? This is ideal for that application. It is just like the neschen EZ dot but my dots don't come off.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have used it on moving vehicles with no issues other than heavy rain. During heavy rain the water can get between the vinyl and vehicle. But this can be remedied by just removing the decals, allow them to dry and reapply.

We use the easy dot on walls, glass, floors, etc with great results. I havent specifically tried stain resistant paints yet though.

CanuckSigns

You would be better to letter the vehicle with standard vinyl, and if they insist on it being removable, cut a piece of the easy dot material to go over the decal when they don't want it shown.

I've never gotten the appeal of magnets, around here the only reason people use them are to avoid having to pay commercial rates when they go to the dump. I think it makes you look like a fly by night contractor to be honest.

visual800

when you are faced with a customer that wants the impossible, just say "Nope you cant have that and it aint gonna work, you can only get a decal",

Maybe its my age I dont know, people will worry you to death to make something work that is not possible. Almost to the point of making it YOUR problem. just tell them NO!

phototec

I think the only way is to stick a metall plate on the inside of the vehichle and test if the magnet is strong enough to hold on to that, otherwise there is no good solution,
All other materials will have problems with dirt.

Yep, All other materials will have problems with dirt and WIND....

cwade440

I lost a sale this way too once the customer realized the magnet would not stick to their new truck. In my state (MA), the RMV considers magnetics AND vinyl on windows temporary and therefore not acceptable for commercial lettering requirements anyway. It has to be vinyl on steel.

bannertime

I'm just going to say that my customers have loved the iDot from Gans. Even when I tell them that they need to store them on the liner or a coro panel. I've only had it for a few weeks, but it's a new product we'll start switching all of our customers to. So SkyHighJK thanks for sticking with me on that call. lol. When they say it's harder to get off the liner, they aren't kidding either.

Last edited:

SkyHighJK

I'm just going to say that my customers have loved the iDot from Gans. Even when I tell them that they need to store them on the liner or a coro panel. I've only had it for a few weeks, but it's a new product we'll start switching all of our customers to. So SkyHighJK thanks for sticking with me on that call. lol. When they say it's harder to get off the liner, they aren't kidding either.

Hah, my pleasure! Call anytime, I'm happy to shoot the stuff with you all day. Makes me feel productive ;) Glad your customers are happy with iDot!

Proper

Gecko Grippers are being used more and more for sticking magnetic signs to aluminum vehicles. They are thin, flexible pads that stick to anything smooth and dry. They do not use adhesive so never wear out either.