• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Ford Transit kicking our rear end....

Signs Express

Any advice would be appreciated... We are having significant trouble with the recessed side and rear panel on the new full size transit. We've used heat, adhesion promotor, but we cannot get the vinyl to lay in that 90 degree channel. How are others dealing with it? Cut and drop in? Inlay an additional piece? I've never had a vehicle give this much of a fit. We're using 3M IJ180cV3...

Thanks.

AaronSSsignsKC

Look into 3m new IJ380 it has a lot more stretch and is designed for areas like this. Also make sure you are using 3m primer 94 in those large recessed areas.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Either cut and drop or
set your edge along the recess, heat 6" or so away from the edge and push in with glove pulling vinyl from the heated center area as opposed to heating the edge and stretching it.
That's my favorite method for those types of recesses. I don't use primer either. DO post heat.
But a little education with your customer up front, and you can do the cut and drop.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Helpful tutorial video

[video=youtube;XjnH-DcYxdA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjnH-DcYxdA[/video]

WhiteWrapper

Primer. Tack just a 6 inch piece at center leaving 5 inches to body line and a few inches above loose. Using heat gun roll (vcat or roller l) channel proper heat and speed. Relief cut and lam tape suggested and usually okay with educated customer. Post heat.

Typestries

The video shows the proper technique. Excepting the fact that we often design type into that recessed area and even over 5" of stretch it can still distort the copy. In my mind, distorted copy is way more disturbing than a cut and drop. Distortion and or crooked drive me nuts. Do the cut and drop with knifeless, then cut a 1/4" strip of a complimentary to your layout color of HP vinyl and bridge the drop gap. It makes for a super clean look and solves the distortion and durability issue.

Kwiksigns

wookie
you can also work it into the recessed area. The only difficult part is the corners. I can't really explain it and don't have time to make a video.I start at under the recession and start from middle working up. work my way up leaving the vertical recession not squeegeed down. Once I make my way to the top I start from the middle of the recessed are and work it into the corners slowly. I dont have to worry about stretching or aligning anything towards the rear as it is the first panel. Takes some practice but I can do it without worry now.