Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new from Baltimore

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by schosports, Jan 1, 2007.

1. schosports

schosports Cookie Monster

Nov 2, 2006
    Maryland
    Hello everybody! First, a big THANK YOU to all who have posted here. I've learned quite a few great tips here so far and I had to join to at least say thanks.
    Anyway, born and raised here in Baltimore City, can't wait to move out to the country. I'm married and have a two year old daughter.

I graduated high school and went right into the family business, an automotive parts warehouse. While working days, I attended the Maryland Institute College of Art, studying Graphic Design. Worked there nine years, did almost everything and the family sold the business. Before we sold, I had bought a BMW (a USED 318ti, not an expensive model) and fell in love with vehicles. So my next job was at local BMW dealership selling parts. I joined the BMW Car Club of America and started doing track events and racing autocross (all legal, no street racing).
    Well, I then moved on to another local BMW dealer after the first dealership sold it's franchise and closed it's doors.
    While doing the BMW parts thing, I still did a few night, graphic design classes at the Maryland Institute to keep me feeling creative.
    As most of you can attest, once you get married, time really FLYS and I stopped night school.

About a year and a half ago I bought a used vinyl cutter for a couple reasons.
    - I wanted to keep the creative juces flowing again.
    - I wanted to do my own racing numbers and help out some of my fellow BMW racers.
    - At my current dealership, the turnover was so bad I thought I could pay for my cutter by doing all the window lettering for the sales and service departments.
    - Call me strange, but I have always wanted to do signs. I love seeing somthing I created, no matter how big or small.

Well, my Father-in-law owns a small embroidery business and started to send me a few small jobs for some of his customers. Not just signs and banners, but graphic design as well. I did some business windows, a few boats, a few BMW race cars, designed some company logos and I'm hooked. I'm not setting the world on fire but it very fulfilling to me.

That brings me to now.........
    I just left my BMW parts job and I'm looking for a job for in sign business. I would like to learn all aspects of the biz, from design, fabrication to installs. I hope I could join a company and really contribute to it's groth and sucess by adding my design skills.
    I going to post over in the employment forum and we'll see how it goes.

Sorry to ramble, thanks for reading, and look forward to being a member of Signs101.com.

Tags:
  2. 2NinerNiner2

2NinerNiner2 Very Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    Bonjour de Montréal :) :Canada 2:

3. maddmd

maddmd Member

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Welcome from NJ (about 1 1/2 hr. north of you)and good luck :Welcome:

4. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Welcome from PA. Good Luck

5. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome to Signs101.com

6. MAB SIGNS

MAB SIGNS Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Welcome from Indiana and best of luck!

7. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Welcome from Beautiful BC.
    I agree that working in a sign shop at first will help to give you a leg-up on just how things work ( or don't). Pay attention to the marketing focus of regional businesses and you may well find a niche that has not been satisfied.
    Sounds like you've got a real good start to this endeavour and I wish you all the best...AND..a Happy New Year!
    Ken

8. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Active Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Hello from Joisey!

9. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA.

Wow, how much your story sounds like mine… except the part about my family owning a business… or the part about owning a BMW… or the part about racing… or the part about in-laws owning a business and sending work my way… actually only the part about being feeling strange is really close, the rest is, well, I don’t know why it sounded so familiar ??

Anyway, again... welcome to:signs101:.

11. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Welcome Aboard!:thumb:

12. Whit

Whit Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Welcome from Texas !!!

13. GregT

GregT Very Active Member

Welcome to the board

14. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Welcome from Oklahoma!

Good luck
    :Welcome: to :signs101: ​

15. schosports

schosports Cookie Monster

Nov 2, 2006
    Maryland
    Thank you all for the warm welcome,

and...... guess what, I just bought a Big Squeege! Can't wait to try it out.

16. Git-R-Done

Git-R-Done Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Welcome from Chicagoland.

17. Dale's Signs

Dale's Signs Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Welcome William from Kansas to :signs101:

Dale