Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New guy here. SC-500 advice needed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ARMSRAISED, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ARMSRAISED

ARMSRAISED Member

Jun 8, 2005
    New to this forum. been a part time sign guy for many years basically just making signs for my own uses, event biz, window dressing biz, tradeshow biz.... occasionally a car or truck or other biz here and there.
    I am going to get deeper into being a full time sign guy.
    I currently use a Roland PNC-90 and a PC-60.
    I am purchasing a Roland SC-500 this week. I'm getting it used for $6900.00
    Good deal?
    I know the machine a little (a friend of mine prints stuff for me), it is what I want. I prefer print quality over being able to print on anything. I make a lot of small runs of custom stickers and it is the best machine for that. I always coat my stuff with clear-jet.
    I guess I'm looking to hear as much info and experience you guys have had with this machine before I make my final decision to purchase it.
    I'm not new to the forum world so I hope to be at least a little active here.

-Michael

Tags:
  2. marty whiteside

marty whiteside Member

May 8, 2005
    :Welcome: sorry cant help your with question.But this is the right place to be asking.I am sure someone will be able to help.

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Same deal here. I have no direct experience of the Roland printers.

But I do welcome you to Signs 101.

4. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Hi Micheal.

If the printer is in good working condition than yes its a good deal. At that price im not sure if it is converted to eco-sol inks. They originaly used proprietary Sol Ink. These inks will be discontinued in september. You will have to switch over to eco-sol.

You will be able to directly switch your inks but will still be limited to using coated vinyls and media. A good investment would be to convert it either with the Roland conversion kit wich includes a thermostat, heating plates and 3 media rolls along with Rolands rip software Color choice 2 or with a new kit available from a 3rd party wich is a bulk ink system and more agressive inks. Other members on this board have more information on those inks.

Its a great printer .. just a little slow compared to newer models. I've had mine for over 3 years now ... And i paid 40 thousand canadian back then .. hehehe