• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New guy in SoCal

Dr.dirty

Hey guys my name is Scott. Im currently using a Summa D120 with Corel draw x5. I am new to the sign making industry and right now im only making enough money to cover materials.... I look forward to reading and soaking up all the knowledge this place has to offer. Every time I have an issue and google my problem this forum pops up so I figured you were all the "go to guys"

SignosaurusRex

Welcome Aboard Scott. If you are are only making enough $ to cover materials, then you are working for free. Giving away your work. That makes absolutely no sense at all. You are not only hurting yourself, but others as well.... like the rest of us.

Dr.dirty

I have found most of the clients have really wanted alot for very little money. Thats one of the reasons I signed up here is to get advice and guidance. I have been doing alot of vehicle work using Oracal 951 and 100yds of each color adds up fast.

Salmoneye

1. What the customer expects is very nice (for the customer).
2. If you do decide to do an inexpensive job, you should be doing it on a much less expensive material. I don't use any junk but I will do signs on 651 $100 bill or less a roll for 30" x 150'.
3. Just covering expense of material. That might be fine, depending on what you mean. If you are doing 10sf of vinyl lettering and charging $100, that means that with the above mentioned roll I am using 4 lineal feet of material and I now have 96 lineal feet of material capable of producing $2,400. worth of work at the above mentioned prices if efficiently used. That makes sense to me. It might not pay on the first job but it will pay and you are getting ahead.
4. If you want to make money now don't stock as much material. There are many suppliers that will send you cut yardage. Buy 5 yards of material for that one yard job and you will still take home a paycheck.
5. Any dipshit can cut a piece of vinyl and sell it, just look at the work you see around you. Quality is what will make you a sign man instead of just some other guy that has a plotter. Design is 80% of the job and quality installation another 15% the cut vinyl part is monkey work and makes up the other 5%. Why install something 1/8" off when it is just as easy and as quick once you know what you are doing to install it perfectly.
6. Sell them something that is worth something and charge plenty for it. You are selling a finished product, hopefully something that is going to make them lots of money or bring them lots of pleasure and satisfaction. The cost of your bit of material should almost be immaterial. You can sell a piece that costs you $10 for $20 and do $10 jobs to make $100, you will be out of business and possibly your home in a year. During this time you will have helped bring down the industries prices & reputation not to mention that of your customers. On the other hand you can sell a really well done job that costs you $10 for $100 and spend a little extra time making it worth something and develop word of mouth business and eat at the same time. I offer customers more than one choice sometimes explaining that this sign will look good for 10 years as opposed to this sign that will last 3 years and the price differential is not just the cost of the material. Sell the whole sign.

Good luck with your entrance into an exciting new field. Aspire to be the best that you can be and welcome to the community.

Ken

Welcome from BC, Canada.
As Salmoneye says,,let your clients know that they are not just buying "off the shelf stickers"...It is all CUSTOM work..cant buy that at Walmart. You are providing (and installing) their brand making it so the rest of the world can recognize them compared to others. They want something that has polish and sometimes "pizzaz". YOU can do that...but not for X$ per sq ft. People who install linoleum charge by the sq. ft.
Now, it's not fair to charge a client for Your leaning time..So study all the old threads on here. concerning various sign making topics...and practice some o those techniuqes ahead of time. Perforated window film comes to mind.
Cheers!
Ken

binki

Welcome from the PRC. You should be able to make money. Throw a rock in any direction and you will hit 5 guys doing the same thing around you though.

Dr.dirty

Thank you guys for all the advice.... I have been doing ALOT of reading and it looks like I cam to the right spot.

Dr.dirty

I guess I need to look for a more cost efficient vinyl. I have been doing fab work for years in the Jeep world and hate to offer anything less than the best to my customers. Unfortunately I have not found a local supplier in the High Desert that sell vinyl buy the yard :( .