• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New guy!

tracey.peterson

Hey all - new member of the forum. Friend of mine at the RIP company I used to work for recommended this site.

I've been out of work for a couple months at this point - I had to leave the print shop I managed large format digital printing for. :(

Still, I don't want to fall behind while I look for more work, so I figure I can keep offering help/advice in places where I'm still pro, and maybe can learn things from you other fellas too.

That said - if anybody IS interested in knowing more about me, OR has info on a site I can go to that may list current openings around the country, please let me know!

-Tracey

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA.............................

With your attitude.... you should find work quickly :thumb:

Keith Rae

Hi Tracey
Welcome from the warm Okanagan BC Canada, the province with no snow under 3800 feet and about to hold the Olympics. We have flower blooming, sorry Lunatic blizzards and shoveling snow is not fun.

tracey.peterson

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

I'm hoping to be a shining beacon of zero mis-information. ;) Also, while I *am* looking, and I *am* hopeful this site will help me network a bit (may as well be up front), the main goal is to keep up on trends and practice helping out when and where I can. I don't wanna get rusty, even if I'm not making pretty pictures at the moment.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I've always wanted to live in Canada (I know it's big - I love the whole country!), Cali, Illinois, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.... :D

I'm sure the Olympics will be fine Keith. You can just use Salt Lake's snow making machines - we sure did in 2002. Also - make olympic signs tills you see the rings even when you close your eyes!!

Keith Rae

They have a dozen snow making machines at Cypress Mountain the venue for the half pike, moguls, aerials and boarder cross, but it has been to warm to run them since the beginning of January. So they are trucking in snow from Manning Park about 3 ½ hr east of Vancouver. The forecast for this weekend is for rain and the freezing point is 1500 meters a little over 4800 ft, the peak of Cypress Mountain isn’t that high. Bring your umbrella! They refurbished the outdoor ice rink at Robson Square in the heart of Vancouver, they installed a new ice machine that was supposed to keep the ice hard till March. Last week they were laying down plastic sheets of fake ice. Whistler Mountain will be ok as far as snow, it’s higher in elevation and gets a lot more snow. The problem is when the warm moist air cones off the Pacific Ocean Whistler get heavy fog. The woman’s practice runs were canceled because of fog yesterday.
How were the sign police in Salt Lake City? Here they are going after any business that has Olympic, Olympia, or has the torch or rings, in their logos or signs. They say it is to protect the official sponsors of the games. There is an Olympia restaurant chain that has been in business for over 30 years and the Olympic committee tried to get them to change there name, their menu, their signs the ad in the phone book, any thing that’s Olympian. The Olympic committee even managed to get a bylaw passed allowing the police to enter your home to remove signs. The Olympic committee bought up all the billboard space in and around Vancouver and along the route to Whistler Mountain during the Olympics. Only the official Olympic sign company will get most of the work. (BITTER PARTY OF ONE) Which is most likely Paterson signs, but they hold the lease on most of the billboard locations anyway. Jimmy Paterson is a local boy who gives back to the community. Although he owns a lot in the community I’m really not that bitter about the Olympics being hosted by our province, it will bring billions of dollars into the province, has created thousands of jobs, we have had venues built, and the beauty of the country will be seen around the world. The hotels, restaurants, airlines, taxies, ticket scalpers, transit and any one supply he Olympics will see huge profits over the next weeks. And when the games are all over it’s the public that gets to pay off the infrastructure costs for the next 25 years. Ok maybe I am a little bitter but I’m 6 hrs removed from that rat race so I’ll sit back in my lazy boy and watch the games.
Tracie sorry for hijacking your tread