• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New here

jshiplet

Well im new here and have been a lurker for a couple weeks, thought I would finally post. Im 22 and I love reading everyones post about how to make things better. My friends and I are pretty good at graphic design and stuff as we paint cars for rfactor on the game side of things. I felt a need in the Columbus, OH area for good race car lettering at a reasonable price as some of the "fastsign" shops around here arent so great when it comes to material used. There are people in this area that do use great material and work out of small shops, I just havent found them yet, so with that in mind im going to try my hand with a 15" Roland to start. Im not saying im good or anything or there arent others in my area that can work some magic, im just trying to learn something new and throw some ideas around with my friends. Look forward to talking with people and learning in this fun field.
Jacob

skyhigh

My friends and I are pretty good at graphic design and stuff as we paint cars for rfactor on the game side of things. I felt a need in the Columbus, OH area for good race car lettering at a reasonable price as some of the "fastsign" shops around here arent so great when it comes to material used.

Welcome.

I guessing this is a hobby for you and your friends. Now I'm not busting your balls or anything, but after you've been doing this a while, maybe you will come to realize "fastsigns" isn't as un-reasonable as you first thought.

Let me know your thoughts AFTER you've moved out of your mom & dads garage.... rented a retail space...start paying utiilities...bought that 25k printer, 45k router, 65k bucket truck and are trying to support a family of your own, along with all the bills associated with that.

I think its cool you and your friends find this fun and exciting, but don't bust on other shops until you've grown up a bit.

Im not saying im good or anything or there arent others in my area that can work some magic
OTHERS that can work some magic huh? I like that attitude. :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff.

jshiplet

I appreciate the comment here at the end and I dont live at home anymore and I own my own drag car, I just find racing online in the cold winter alot of fun. I have no problem with fastsign places but for the price I pay I would think they could use better material thats all. I have seen some of the prices some of you are giving your customers, I would gladly pay that for quality. I have no problem spending money on quality, it just makes me mad when I spend the same amount of money on crap. I never really looked at how much vinyl was for a roll or how to price it, until I came here. So when I put the cost of the vinyl I wanted with the price per sq. ft and time involved, it made me alittle upset and decided to do it on my own. I have friends that do this for a living and they have cut me some great deals over the past few years and I do appreciate it and tell all my friends if you have time go to so and so. But when in a pinch and need something quick, like a 24-48 hour turn, I cant do anything but local. And yes this is more of a hobby so probably the biggest cutter I will ever get is 24 MAYBE 30, I like to dabble in alot of everything from this to powder coating to welding. I try and see if I can even do it, if I cant, best leave it to the pros. Thank you all for the welcome.