• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New HP 110 - having strike head issues

jdejesus

I just got my 110 running yesterday. Tried printing a poster and there's some really bad strike head issues in the middle of the vinyl. I used the parameters the vendor recommend I should use. Printing on Briteline matte white adhesive. Any direction would be great. I'm going to do a nozzle check and clean it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 96

jdejesus

Well things have gotten worse. I tried to clean the nozzles and the heads crashed into the media. I was able to back out the roll but I'm afraid to do anything. HP support is extended Tursday due to Memorial Day on Monday.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 157

Bly

Try a different media.
Some, especially cheaper media, distort when they warm up a bit.

jdejesus

Try a different media.
Some, especially cheaper media, distort when they warm up a bit.

I had a feeling that could be it. It was the free roll that was given to me when I purchased the printer.

After I took out the substrate, I checked all of the heads. They appeared ok. I put the roll back on and the machine is doing a check alignment. I'll see where it goes from there.

New question. The head crashing into the media really freaked me out. I'm making an assumption that the carriage will be manufactured strong enough to handle an impact like that. Or am I wrong?

Bly

Should be right.
You might have to do a head alignment if prints start looking fuzzy.
Advance the media enough so it's coming out of the printer before you start a print to try & avoid head strikes.

Desert_Signs

I had a feeling that could be it. It was the free roll that was given to me when I purchased the printer.

After I took out the substrate, I checked all of the heads. They appeared ok. I put the roll back on and the machine is doing a check alignment. I'll see where it goes from there.

New question. The head crashing into the media really freaked me out. I'm making an assumption that the carriage will be manufactured strong enough to handle an impact like that. Or am I wrong?

That definitely looks like a media problem. A head crash won't hurt the carriage. It might hurt the heads though. Typically the first head.

If that was poster paper, good luck. That series of printer does have trouble with papers.

jdejesus

Well, I did a printhead alignment and tried the poster again. This time I wound up the roll as tight as I could. Tried to print 4 posters and they all seamed to be ok this round. I have many more to print, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll be ok. After this roll is finished, I'll get a higher quality vinyl.

If that was poster paper, good luck. That series of printer does have trouble with papers.

Could you explain this a little bit more? I am planning to buy a roll of HP poster paper very soon.

-Josh

greysquirrel

Are you using edge guards?
also, every profile you download...imo has temps way too high which will cause media to ripple...paper 190-195 degrees, adhesive vinyl 210-214 degrees banner 215-218 degrees...

every downloadable profile will be near 230 degrees...

Snydo

I would definitely lower the temps some, like others have said the profile default temps are usually way too high.

HP Poster Paper is the best way to go for paper posters, it prints amazing and from what I remember it was reasonably priced. Good Luck.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well, I did a printhead alignment and tried the poster again. This time I wound up the roll as tight as I could. Tried to print 4 posters and they all seamed to be ok this round. I have many more to print, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll be ok. After this roll is finished, I'll get a higher quality vinyl.

Could you explain this a little bit more? I am planning to buy a roll of HP poster paper very soon.

-Josh

Give my latex poster paper a shot, it prints killer in all latex units and the price is only $0.09 a sq.ft.