• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help New HP 335 with issues have been down to single printer for months.

Kyle Bramston

First off, thank god for this site, it has helped me tremendously over the last 7 years , although this
is my first post.

So, some details.

At the end of March we had a printhead failure in our Xr640 (will fix soon) and in lieu of replacement, we were heavily considering Hp Latex for quite sometime and chose that route. We received the HP 335 Print / Cut about two and a half weeks later while limping along with only our Roland XF640, which was strenuous but manageable.

We set up the machine in mid to late April and we were very impressed with its perfect color consistency and while I noticed that the unlaminated gloss prints we not very glossy, all else seemed okay. That is until our first wrap. Delamination issues like crazy. In addition to the delamination, we have noticed a cloudy, almost film on top of our prints. Coming from the eco-solvent world this was all new to us and we tried to fix the issue and dove into learning about the machine fully.

Now here we are almost 3 months after our initial printhead failure, multiple visits from reseller tech support (both our local and national level) countless hours on the phone calling other shops (I might have called you if you're reading this) and still not fixed. I'm at my limit with this I think now we have tried all types of media (Arlon Slx, ij180, 35c, briteline, GB, Oracal) same hazy look, and a scratchable filmy residue. This is likely why prints on gloss media look satin almost matte. Also, as far as delamination we have used all previously mentioned medias matching overlaminates. The film is gone when the optimizer is set to zero, haziness remains. I have tried every individual degree fahrenheit from 140 to 241 to no avail. Along with each combination of optimizer, interpass delay, passes, ink density and have also replaced all inks and printheads. We have lost thousands on this switch and it doesnt seem to be ending anytime soon. The most frustrating part is of the 200 shops I have called, no one has any issues like this whatsoever.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

kanini

Sorry to hear about your problems, at first I thought it was temperature issue (too low) but since you've tried adjusting it can't be that. Have you tried to put high heat on and increase the interpass delay (just shooting in the dark) to give it slightly more time to dry. Hope you get it resolved, we are (as you've heard from others) printing Arlon SLX on our 360 and it works wonderfully and no delamination issues. Really hope you get it solved!!

Kyle Bramston

I appreciate that! Interpass delay has been set to 1 sec along with the heat at 241f, on 20 pass with 100 ink density and same results. I have yet to have any prints come out with a gloss finish (although possibly my standards are high) but I would consider them satin.

ikarasu

Latex is a bit duller than solvent without overlaminate. With overlam they should be pretty glossy.

The onlytime I've ever had that haze is when I print on reflective... or I'm throwing down way too much ink.

Have you let the print sit non laminated for a day and see what it does? When my printer is warming up in the winter... the first print sometimes looks like that. If it sits for a day it'll either go away, or it'll be wet and I can wipe it off... Obviously it doesn't fix your problem, and it's not a solution... but might be good to test it out.

Is it just the black with the haze? or every color?

I see you're in Canada, which province, and who did you buy the printer from? Grimco or ND, or another vendor? HP takes their products very seriously. Your vendor should be providing new inks / heads, and troubleshooting it themselves - The onlything you should be out is a bit of media while testing. And if they cant get it to print properly... It should be replaced with a new one. Of course they don't want to do that, but if you fight them on it they'll have to.

Our printers had a problem or two... faulty parts,and they overnighted new ones and had them installed free of charge. HP warranty is pretty good... If a tech agrees there is a problem but cant figure out what it is, HP will send their own tech or replace the machine.

Also... Just so you're aware, overlam will be easier to peel off on a latex print then on a solvent print. We can hand pull certain overlams off with ease on some 3M Medias... we were told it was tested, and while it's easyish to pull off... it meets their standards and will not delaminate itself. The first few vehicle wraps we did in reflective we were scared about... but the fleet we did has been out for 2 years so far, and not a single delamination issue. So while it's scarily easy to pull off, 3M rep confirmed our sample we sent in was fine.

also... I presume you have a heat gun. Does the cloudiness go away if you use the heatgun on the print? Since you've had multiple techs out to visit... it's hard to know what they've done to troubleshoot it. It could be your heater is faulty and it isnt heating up high enough... so slowing it down or turning it up does nothing, but I imagine a tech tested that. And generally when it's a faulty heater it will be one side, or spots... not the whole print.

bannertime

Wow, that is so odd. It's not something on the material before print because you'd be able to scratch the ink clean off. That looks like it's sitting on top of the ink. The only thing I could think of is trying to get them to change the ink lines. Maybe there is some type of strange residue in the optimizer line? If you change the optimizer printhead, does it go away for a few inches or feet?

Kyle Bramston

I appreciate the response. So heat gun makes no difference, every color is affected, when laminated silvering is a major problem. We have replaced all inks and printheads.

Kyle Bramston

Wow, that is so odd. It's not something on the material before print because you'd be able to scratch the ink clean off. That looks like it's sitting on top of the ink. The only thing I could think of is trying to get them to change the ink lines. Maybe there is some type of strange residue in the optimizer line? If you change the optimizer printhead, does it go away for a few inches or feet?
Change the optimizer head and bottle. No changes.

ikarasu

At this point tell your supplier to return or replace. Hps are great, but like every brand a faulty one slips through the cracks.

ProPDF

First off, thank god for this site, it has helped me tremendously over the last 7 years , although this
is my first post.

So, some details.

At the end of March we had a printhead failure in our Xr640 (will fix soon) and in lieu of replacement, we were heavily considering Hp Latex for quite sometime and chose that route. We received the HP 335 Print / Cut about two and a half weeks later while limping along with only our Roland XF640, which was strenuous but manageable.

We set up the machine in mid to late April and we were very impressed with its perfect color consistency and while I noticed that the unlaminated gloss prints we not very glossy, all else seemed okay. That is until our first wrap. Delamination issues like crazy. In addition to the delamination, we have noticed a cloudy, almost film on top of our prints. Coming from the eco-solvent world this was all new to us and we tried to fix the issue and dove into learning about the machine fully.

Now here we are almost 3 months after our initial printhead failure, multiple visits from reseller tech support (both our local and national level) countless hours on the phone calling other shops (I might have called you if you're reading this) and still not fixed. I'm at my limit with this I think now we have tried all types of media (Arlon Slx, ij180, 35c, briteline, GB, Oracal) same hazy look, and a scratchable filmy residue. This is likely why prints on gloss media look satin almost matte. Also, as far as delamination we have used all previously mentioned medias matching overlaminates. The film is gone when the optimizer is set to zero, haziness remains. I have tried every individual degree fahrenheit from 140 to 241 to no avail. Along with each combination of optimizer, interpass delay, passes, ink density and have also replaced all inks and printheads. We have lost thousands on this switch and it doesnt seem to be ending anytime soon. The most frustrating part is of the 200 shops I have called, no one has any issues like this whatsoever.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Try reading through this masterpiece and see if it can help.

https://signs101.com/threads/hp-360-de-lamination-issues.123212/

If you are at 3 months you have to demand the machine get sent back for a full refund. I would pick up the new Epson S60600 in exchange with your dealer.