• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New ink cartridge not working

mcgrawdesigns

I just got the message (C) Ink End on my VJ 1204, so I replaced the empty Mutoh cartridge with a brand new Mutoh cartridge, just like I always do. But, when I put the new cartridge in I got a new message that said (C) Ink End. What gives, this was a brand new cartridge I took out of the plastic and slid in, it is completely full. I took it back out and shook it again and put it back in, but still got the same (C) Ink End message. So, I had another new Mutoh Cyan cartridge and I put it in the printer, but again the same message came up (C) Ink End. Has anybody ran into this problem? Does anybody out there have a solution? I need to be printing and this situation is very frustrating. I have read on here about the cards on the ink cartridges being bad, does this sound like my problem, or is it something else.
:help

henryp

There could be a problem with a micro switch inside the cartridge bay of your printer. This is the ink out sensor and it is triggered by the plastic tab that comes out of the ink cartridge as it gets empty.

henryp

You can remove the right cover and check that the switch is still in the correct position. Chances are the lever that triggers the switch is stuck so the switch is on all the time. If it is, see if you can restore it to its original position then compare its functionality with the other sensors by swapping the connection with another one that works.

If the ink sensor assembly checks out OK and you still have the problem, it could be due to something else like a bad Junction Board or even a Main Board but this would be very unlikely.

Matt-Tastic

Also, Mutoh's firmware uses a token on the smart chip to deter 3rd party inks. Each Mutoh ink has a number 1-30 associated with it. if more than 3 chips with the same number are used in a month, the printer will not accept them. It makes 3rd party inks more of a hassle, but can also backfire with a perfect storm of you getting 3 genuine carts with the same number.

mcgrawdesigns

Henry, I have the right side cover off, exposing all of the inner workings. What exactly am I looking for? The switch, the triggering mechanism, etc., etc., where is it located exactly, and what does it look like?

henryp

Observe one your ink cartridges, see the cut out on the bottom of the right side towards the front, imagine where this cavity is positioned when the cartridge is inserted on the printer. That is where the ink out sensor is. On a cartridge that has ink, the plastic tab will be inside this cavity, on an empty cartridge, it will be sticking out. This plastic tab is the one that pushes the balck plastic lever that will then trigger the switch on ink out sensor.

rbadillo

I have a similar problem

I have a similar proble. My original Mutoh Cartrige say Not Original do you know how to reset the cartridge chip. Thanks