• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New job includes canopy.. yikes!

waximoff

I have a client that needs a sign made for the outside of her salon along with her window decals and the awning.
I have never done any kind of canopy and am having a hard time finding any info.
The frame is there from the previous business that vacated. It's attached to the building only with no poles going to the ground. Its all clean and upon inspection looks to be in very good condition.
My question is what kind of material do I use to cover this and where can I find it? I have spent hours chasing my tail. She is looking to find some unique print to go with her salons vibe (polka dots, or zebra she suggested! haha)
Any ideas?

Locals Find!

Go to a canvas awning company and sub out the job. They are going to have access to the materials and the knowledge on doing the job right. They will tell you which materials can be painted on or have vinyl adhered to.

Mosh

+sub it out. Back in the 90's we used to cover them with cooley and light them up. We hooked them on with rivets and vhb tape. I am sure not the look they are going for, sub it out.

waximoff

I figured that's where it was going. But if some people that have done it before said it was just covering and securing some canvas.... well then maybe I'd go for it.
Does anyone know anybody they would recommend in the metro Detroit area?

Anicom

We've had good luck printing on 3M Panagrpahics III awning material, colour pops! We don't tackle the installation of the material to the frame though, we teamed up up with a textile company that can handle that part of the job. No need to sub out the printing in my view, the only restriction would be the size of your printer versus the size of the awning. just my two cents, have a great weekend.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=379&pictureid=2555

Circleville Signs

Awnings are their own little slice of the sign world, and very few shops are good at them. We have a local company a county away that only does awning work - we use them for everything related to this type of thing.

Now, if you were putting an entire new awning, frame and all up, that's a different story. Those are easy.

MikePro

+1 to outsourcing. even in you find the material to wrap it... you're opening a HUGe can o' worms when it comes to stretching/securing it. see plenty of threads regarding this issue for other first timers.

we've done both, in-house and outsource.
the latter allowing me to go home at a reasonable time.

I've ordered from Tri-Vantage. They'll gladly send you a 500page catalog to keep you busy over the weekend.