• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new JV3-160sp printheads - are these bad?

stevenjowens

We bought a couple of new printheads online. Attached are the photos. There appear to be some shiny dots, and some droplets. Should I send these back?

Also attached are some PDFs showing how to replace the print heads, from those who've done this, any comments, suggestions, clarifications or recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_20160523_231000.jpg
    IMG_20160523_231000.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20160523_230931.jpg
    IMG_20160523_230931.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20160523_230928.jpg
    IMG_20160523_230928.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_9560_crop.jpg
    IMG_9560_crop.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 112
  • JV3_head_replacement.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 191
  • JV3 Series-Head Replacement Pro.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 175

inkjet frank

The clear dots are totally normal most heads ship with liquid in the print heads . Have you ever replaced a print head on this machine before? If not I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

stevenjowens

The clear dots are totally normal most heads ship with liquid in the print heads . Have you ever replaced a print head on this machine before? If not I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

Okay, what about the not-clear dots on these photos?

We had two of the four heads replaced last month, by an excellent technician. Unfortunately the remaining two heads also need to be replaced. I paid attention, took notes and discussed the install process with him. I'm pretty sure I can handle the mechanical part. The PRINT ADJUST process I'm a little less confident about. I have the maintenance manual, but the documentation on that seems skimpy.

artbot

hmmm... it's a bit tricky to say. i believe every head is tested by epson. epson keeps the best heads for their machines, and ships the rest of them to other OEMs. this would no longer apply to the dx4 but it's true for all their heads when they are the latest version/model. i'd assume that in order to test the head you might need to insert some test ink. after that, they would fill the head with retainer fluid. maybe they inspector was rushing his job and didn't purge all the test ink from the head when it was on the bench? the head looks pristine. doubt it was ever installed in a machine.

Mysigns4u

Win some lose some, I lost serval heads that where oem new and followed all the tec install I have a 6 head dx4 and refuse to add up the heads that went while installing them. I am very skilled with my equipment so be prepared if u lose a head be ready to buy another to u get one that works or pay 2500 for a tec to install one as they don't gamble they can get a replacement if it's bad u cant.

stevenjowens

Looks exactly like my recent new head. Mine had magenta coloured fluid (not ink) droplets on the head. I think it's the shipping fluid - nothing to worry about anyway.

Thanks, that's very reassuring.

The dropplets here are magenta. Hard to tell if they're dry or liquid. They don't seem to move.

Should I drop cleaning solution on them, or just ignore them?