Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Latex Flatbed Info.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by BigfishDM, May 15, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

1. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Major Contributor

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Tags:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    It would just fit in my shop. But it's probably won't fit in my budget.

Thanks for posting Bigfish.

Can you share what they are selling for?

• Like Like x 1
  3. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    They're in the $250k range and if they live up to the hype, they'll be worth every penny.

4. chafro

chafro Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Mexico
    I was expecting a faster printer. It’s kind of a low volume printer.

5. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    $220k msrp locked, its worth it and then some... This will change the shape of dts printing and may obsolete UV some day.

6. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    It says the ink formulation is different, they removed the scratch resistant properties and you have to run a clear or laminate it to regain this and they have no durability tests for the lifespan of the prints. You have to have white ink, cant opt out of it at least for now. Plus it appears to only be available as a hybrid?
    For 250k you could get a seperate roll to roll (latex or solvent) and a true flatbed and have beer money leftover. At this point, I dont see any game changer unless Im missing something.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    The scratch resistance is the same or better than UV with the built-in (not an option, but optional to use) overcoat.

The benefit to us comes in no waste white ink, Solid screen print like White appearance and ultra-low-cost ink $65/L and $95/L for white, Phenomenal print speeds (for this price range), continuous print mode like the FB series, Easy to use color-white-color on roll stock (when released), no UV lamps to replace, User serviceable print engine with low-cost heads, automatic head alignment and print quality serviceability, and onboard profiling. This is why we signed on to get an early machine.

For some a fixed flatbed works but for others like us, a hybrid is the better option. We love the latex Technology and are finally happy to return to a 1 Inkset company.

8. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    How is it no waste white ink? I skimmed the info but gathered it recirculated just like every other company. Then you have to change it every 4 months. I didnt think uv lamps were an issue anymore either now that they are led?
    Also, how can you say with such conviction how durable the ink is, overcoat or not, when Hp doesnt even know? The machine is new and unproven . I just dont get the blind loyalty.
    How would a hybrid suit you better when you already have multiple roll to roll printers?

9. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    Not really a game changer for smaller shops like mine. This is way out of my price range and would of considered it a real game changer if it replaced the FB750 at the same price point. I'm sure it's an amazing machine and does some nice printing but I'm not sure about the $5,000 a month payment plus what ever additional warranty costs it may carry. Maybe in another 5 years I may be able to buy one used. haha

10. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    How good are hybrids for double sided or overprinting?
    To be honest this doesn't look like it does anything new that can't be done with UV technology.

12. nate

nate Merchant Member

May 10, 2007
    Utah
    Go see it in action at SGIA.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    HP has had this in testing since 2012 in this iteration from what I've been told. It's no waste because when it's not in use you put recirc heads in that doesn't spit or fire any ink out just sends it back to the box. The ink is very similar in chemistry from what we were told to the current gen inks with changes to lower the heat curing temps. The one sample of prints I could physically mess with was very scratch resistant and it was acrylic.

In our case this hybrid offers flood white at the same speed as 10 pass on our current 570s in higher print quality or similar print quality to our standard 6 pass at nearly 3 times faster. It also offers glossier ink than most uv printers when required and super smooth surface for better laminate adhesion if required.

Seriously if you see one of these in action and see the prints you will understand the reasons.

14. benjakes

benjakes Member

May 4, 2010
    Buffalo
    Observations from Fespa:
    1. Nice appearance
    2 with drying and continual feed on same substrate it is a 6 minute 4x8 board they are showing
    3 can scratch ink with fingernail
    4 color is good
    5 Lose detail below 8 point knockout font
    6 quoting 18 cents per square foot with heads.
    Conclusion? Good printer, wicked expensive, No game changer.

15. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    benjakes,

What was the substrate that was scratching off? is that 6 minutes a board with white ink or only cmyk?

16. Emd2kick

Emd2kick Member

Jan 18, 2018
    New Jersey
    Saving on white ink, my anapurna can suck the whit ink into a oscillating tank and purge the lines and head with solution by flicking a button. It’s a 10-15 minutes process in both directions....should I be impressed by the hp?

17. benjakes

benjakes Member

May 4, 2010
    Buffalo
    That was Cmyk only. Twice they started printing white on both days to dibond and cancelled both jobs,
    So can’t give a speed.

18. benjakes

benjakes Member

May 4, 2010
    Buffalo
    Ultraboard

19. benjakes

benjakes Member

May 4, 2010
    Buffalo
    i

20. benjakes

benjakes Member

May 4, 2010
    Buffalo
    That is why I came to Fespa. Again, nice printer.
    3 and 4 pass washed out. No optimizer print not acceptable with durability and dot spread. Would have to buy 10 to compete with EFI.

HP’s marketing team is second to none IMO. $6 per 4x8 in ink is outrageous, but HP is not a printer company, but an ink company.

• Agree Agree x 1